Hopedale Jr/Sr High School Tanks

aresangel

Tim- 2020- Secretary, 2019 BRS President
BRS Member
Hi all!

I am starting this thread to document the fun of starting a tank at work. I teach 7th grade science in Hopedale Jr/Sr High and started an Oceanography Elective this year. As part of the Oceanography class I was going to start two tanks anyway, and got a grant from the Blackstone Valley Educational Foundation to help get things rolling! Here is what is planned.

25 Gallon frag tank- 1 Reefbrite XHO 50/50 light, canister filter with UV, 12"h 24"l 24"w I was able to get this one cycled first because I had all the equipment for it. It took 5 weeks to cycle because I used unclean crushed coral and dead rock for my substrate. Now it is going through that wonderful algae bloom of hair algae, diatoms, and deliciousness! (Pics below uploading from my phone). Currently it has some frags I brought in from home as long as some frags that... well didn't do to well (sorry @mpsteve)

75 gallon tank- This I am currently going to use a low powered fluval reef and sea led until I can find or pick up a t5 structure for cheap. This is going to be for mostly fish and softies. I got this tank donated by a member getting out of the hobby from Sharon. My students put together the sump, it finished cycling this week and will see fish soon! This tank has a Jabao 4000 return pump and it is cranking well enough that I have a small Koralia 750 on the opposite end to get the small dead spot, otherwise the return is strong enough to create a gyre on its own!

180 gallon tank- This is going to be the display beauty of the school. I got permission to place it in the Library/media center. Down side... I have a 50gpd RO system.... and no reservoir so it will be fun filling and flooding 5 gallon buckets at a time to get this thing filled and cycled. During transit one of the stand doors flew off somewhere (495?). So the shop class is going to be making a new door and a canopy for the tank. This will have 3 medal halide 250 watt pendants in the hood system. I have a Jabao 8000 return pump, and a jabao CP-40 for this tank. If I see dead spots I will also bring in my Jabao w25 and Koralia 1250 to address those dead spots.

Now for the fun...

The Grant came in late October. The member I bought the tank from also has MH lights I will be buying... however now since it is a grant it has to go through the business office and getting a check cut has taken over a month for him. Good news is the 250 is still dry. I am also suppose to spend all the money by January 14th or something ridiculous like that.... With the equipment taking a month to order and get in and getting the purchase orders in for the fish from my LFS I have only what I can donate for stock.

Needless to say, as a school so any fish, corals, or equipment to donate Would be appreciated!

We are getting a par meter to test various light outputs over time for the three light types, and once our frags grow to colonies the students will be doing research on lighting sources, flow rates, and other research in the growth and propagation of corals.

I will post updates here periodically.

Tim Vaillancourt

Last edited:
Collin, see if any science teacher wants to incorporate it into their classroom. Us science teachers are the coolest people after all! Introduce them to the forums and I can help them get started!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regarding corals, I have a large Kenya tree and baseball size pink birdsnest I'd like to donate. Good beginner stuff and they survived my first year of reefing - so they have a chance of making it in your tank.

Awesome! I am terrible with birds nests at my home. I just moved my grow out to school because it was bleaching and dying. *fingers crossed* it works well at school! We can arrange pick up/meet up. I travel daily up and down 495 from Leominster (117) to Hopedale (exit 21). If you are out this way we can meet up, otherwise it might take a free day or two for me to pick them up.

-Tim

Pictures of first 2 tanks.

0f8aff1c82ef9fc682da2454aaf2d85e.jpg

72bc0366d737c592898d7b6f3ad1cd25.jpg

Things are looking good here at Hopedale!

Our 25 gallon tank is getting stocked with corals, although we are in the cyanobacteria phase of New Tank Syndrome. the 75 gallon tank looks ugly right now because I have officially entered the dinoflagellate phase of New Tank Syndrome. And I finally got the students to plumb and fill the 180 gallon tank (took a while filling 5 gallons at a time all day for a month straight while fighting evaporation!). The big tank is cycling with salt and dead rock and sand die off as the kick start to our cycle and we have ammonia and nitrites so far. No nitrates. I now have a student intern who helps me a couple times a week with water changes, and tests who is in my oceanography class!

I want to thank everyone for the donations so far, @dz6t @Tim190 @Reefer508 @mpsteve @JeanR and @pauldrapeau @prydlak @Curren007K and (i don't know his tag or if he is on here) Rick Corriera!

So far we had 2 clowns donated, a foxface rabbit fish, an eel, and a variety of leathers, zoas, lps, sps donated and the frag tank is looking great! (only a few coral casualties (sorry some of the sps!)

Pictures will be posted in the next post (easier from my phone/tapatalk).

I will also be at the FFM March 3rd with a tank set up where a portion of the sales will be going back to the school to purchase corals to help fill the 75 and 180 once they are safe for the corals!

Back