Replacing rock to eliminate pests - timing question

CAPSLOCK

Yes, I am a giraffe.
Staff member
Aiptasia has slowly spread onto all of my rock, & and it also has a lot of little bubble algae bubbles happily growing in the nooks and crannies. My manual removal has failed, so I am pulling all the rock out and bleaching / acid dipping it to eliminate those pests.

I pulled out some several months ago, then Tues I removed about 2/3 of what remained (a 5g bucket chock full). I did not mess with the sand bed or the fuge. Added back in some nice fresh white dry rock.

It is a very lightly stocked 75g w/ fuge in sump. 2x clowns, 2x gobies, 1x royal gramma, various snails. I don't anticipate getting a cycle.

How long should I wait to let the dry rock become live before pulling the remaining established / pest infested rock?

If you still have pest infested it may spread to the new.
I nuked all my rock from an evasive paly (bleach, acid, sunshine, rodi over 6 months). Never had a noticeable cycle and within a month coraline started growing.

Have you tried a natural predator like peppermint shrimp? They are a lot cheaper then new rock and they are easy keepers. They will also help as part of your clean up crew.

My royal gramma full on eats peppermint shrimp whole (I've watched).

I think I have all the aiptasia rocks out, I focused on them first. The bubble algae I'm not so concerned about, it's not ideal but not a deal breaker for me. "Algae happens." I know that's going to come back as I'm sure it's making its way through the sump and all regardless. I was thinking (hoping?) that I can be rid of the aiptasia this way, that was my larger concern.

Aiptasia has slowly spread onto all of my rock, & and it also has a lot of little bubble algae bubbles happily growing in the nooks and crannies. My manual removal has failed, so I am pulling all the rock out and bleaching / acid dipping it to eliminate those pests.

I pulled out some several months ago, then Tues I removed about 2/3 of what remained (a 5g bucket chock full). I did not mess with the sand bed or the fuge. Added back in some nice fresh white dry rock.

It is a very lightly stocked 75g w/ fuge in sump. 2x clowns, 2x gobies, 1x royal gramma, various snails. I don't anticipate getting a cycle.

How long should I wait to let the dry rock become live before pulling the remaining established / pest infested rock?

You don’t have to pull your rock out of the tank if you’re interested I’m actually selling a electrical reef safe zapper to zap the Aiptasia.
I’m only asking $90. I no longer use it I got rid of all of my Aiptasia

You don’t have to pull your rock out of the tank if you’re interested I’m actually selling a electrical reef safe zapper to zap the Aiptasia.
I’m only asking $90. I no longer use it I got rid of all of my Aiptasia
Retail price is 169 all you do is plug and play you zap all of them out of your rock without even taking your rock out of the tank

Aips suck. I assume-you tried a few file fish (tank raised) /cbb? I had the zapper thing many moons ago. Mine was junk but cool for a little while. Omce in a long while like a couple times a year i break out the 3w lazer. Kalk paste if they get evil. Get down to ulns too if you’re game for that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back