Back from the dead build thread...

This looks great. Nice to see the progression. I am in the process of setting up a 180. What do you credit your success to mostly, lighting, dosing, H20 changes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This looks great. Nice to see the progression. I am in the process of setting up a 180. What do you credit your success to mostly, lighting, dosing, H20 changes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!

I am not sure if I consider myself successful but I am basically an old skool reefer and I don't dose anything except calcium/ alk/ limewater. The only other additive is activated carbon. I do about a 25 gallon weekly w/c for roughly 180 true water volume system and have over 200 lbs of rock. I don't even run a Ca reactor because I dose about a gallon of limewater a day and only a small amount of two part. I run my ATO separate so the limewater is dosed on a consistent basis. I am considering upgrading to a Ca reactor because I do find myself having to up my dosing here and there and eventually it will probably become a necessity. Especially to avoid calcium buildup from the two part.

My system has been ultra low nutrient and a couple months ago I added several fish and have been feeding heavily in hopes to add some nutrients. I couldn't even keep macro algae alive. I had a small cyano outbreak but added some macro algae back in to my refugium and cut back on feeding and things are looking good again. My point is that it is not always gravy. That's what keeps the hobby interesting.

This tank is not even a year old at this point but it has been doing great for me in the short time it has been running. I pray that things keep up and moving in the right direction. For me its keep it simple and automate as much as possible.

I do swear by consistent water changes and alk testing. That's just my opinion.

Thanks again and I hope that helps.

Werd life...

Last edited:
PinkTable.jpg

Last edited:
Had the pleasure of seeing this tank in person recently and it is a beauty. Derek has a very impressive set up and a deep understanding of reefing. Thoughtful system design, meticulous attention to detail and superb taste in corals. Everything is first rate and to boot Derek is a hell of a nice guy! If the reef tours ever start back up again this one should be at the top of the list!

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back