Freezing Phyto for use later

mvallee

Non-member
I have been successfully cultivating and feeding Phyto to my tank to keep the pod population thriving along with feeding corals and am happy with the results.

My dilemma is I will be leaving my tank in the care of a non experienced reefer/house sitter while away on vacation for 9 days and plan on creating portion packets in the freezer to be moved to the fridge in the morning that will be fed at night to the tank. Could I freeze the live Phyto in those packets with the frozen food to be fed? Would the tank benefit from say a 1/4 cup dead Phyto? I am trying to keep this as simple as possible for them.

Thanks

I take silence on the idea of freezing my live phyto to be fed in pre-measured portions daily while I am away an ok idea. I have to assume even if it was not a great idea a 1/4 cup per day will cause no harm in a total volume of around 110 gallons.

My tank is starting to come around after a bout of the uglies at 6 months in, I got hit with Cyano, Dino's and some kind of weird snotty green algae that grew like Kelp in all the high flow areas of my tank all at the same time. I am root cause as I was overfeeding to get my copperband to eat while being constantly harassed by my Purple Tang, the situation has straightened itself out to some extent and the tank has adjusted to the extra food

A number of my prized corals succumbed to the constant covering of these nasties but I have a few left and I look forward to working on getting my parameters back to normal and start moving forward again when I get back from vacation.

I don't know whether it's ok to freeze phyto and feed your tank with It. I do know that it's a bad idea to do it while you are on vacation and have someone who doesn't know anything about reefs watching your tank. Practice with it when you get home. Enjoy your vacation.

I take silence on the idea of freezing my live phyto to be fed in pre-measured portions daily while I am away an ok idea. I have to assume even if it was not a great idea a 1/4 cup per day will cause no harm in a total volume of around 110 gallons.

My tank is starting to come around after a bout of the uglies at 6 months in, I got hit with Cyano, Dino's and some kind of weird snotty green algae that grew like Kelp in all the high flow areas of my tank all at the same time. I am root cause as I was overfeeding to get my copperband to eat while being constantly harassed by my Purple Tang, the situation has straightened itself out to some extent and the tank has adjusted to the extra food

A number of my prized corals succumbed to the constant covering of these nasties but I have a few left and I look forward to working on getting my parameters back to normal and start moving forward again when I get back from vacation.
I would assume that freezing live phyto will kill it. It would probably make it comparable to a Seachem Phyto

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back