Need help !!! Desperate

gobie1313

Non-member
Just putting it out there.
I need to replace the valve in my over flow
The seal is broken and it’s leaking on bottom.
I can’t get it loose, and was told I’ll have to use a dremel to cut it off. I’m totally paranoid that I will crack the tank. Is there anyone near taunton
That can help me out that is familiar in doing this type of thing. I’m the type if try to fix it I will cause
10x the damage. I’m willing even to pay for your time. Can do it at your schedule . Next step would be for me call an Aquarium maintence company.

I’d turn off the pump and drain some water first, keep the powerheads running

Then get your hands on an “oscillating tool” to cut off what you have to cut off. It’ll be harder to crack the tank with that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you post photos?

It’s the the thicker 1 inch output
I can’t get nut loosen

Attachments

• CF441A69-4496-4756-8026-FD4264BDE4AE.jpeg
    CF441A69-4496-4756-8026-FD4264BDE4AE.jpeg
    125.3 KB · Views: 222
You can get that open with a bulk head key or a plumbers adjustable wrench. You can buy the latter at home-depot.

It looks like the washer is above the nut and not above the glass. For future reference, you want to put the washer on the top side of the bulkhead between the above lip and glass (make sure there’s no sand). Nut at the bottom will go up against bottom of the tank.

Looks like it would be a pretty easy cut using a dremel with cutoff wheel and cutting diagonally through it.

Bump for help
Able to get a couple of turns on the nut,
Won’t budge. Going to have to use the dremel.
Just a little paranoid with the cutting just not a real handy with tools.

You could try heating up a 5 in 1 scraper with a torch and melt through the plastic ring

For future advice silicon will never beat out water in leaking bulk heads always better off replacing the bulkhead. Id start with a razor knife scraper 99cent in the paint section of lowes and remove all the silicon. Then put a wrench on the nut and remove it the normal way

Thank you very much
Let me try one more time tonite.
I’ll reach out to you if I get stuck.
Thank you again for your response.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back