Search results

1. sirvine24

Best Method for Gluing Rock Together

Super glue gel wins. I've glued rocks big and small. I have a whole tub of NYOS reef cement sitting on the shelf (want it?) because I didn't need it once I saw how well super glue worked.
  2. sirvine24

Looking to start

I have plenty of sand and rock, cured and ready to go. I'm not too far in Dorchester.
  3. sirvine24

Anyone using a plug in humidty switch?

That's a good idea. As a workaround for a humidity sensor, I used a temperature sensor similar to this Amazon Temp Sensor to measure the air in the stand. It's a geekier solution, but it's been serving its purpose so far. I have it hooked up to a computer fan in the back of my stand. Keeps it...
  4. sirvine24

Removing Palys

Thanks for all the responses, very helpful. The colony isn't too big yet. Now, I'm leaning toward removing everything and chipping away the part of rock that has the palys. Gonna be an interesting weekend.
  5. sirvine24

Removing Palys

I'm sure this topic has been covered, but I only saw a couple recent threads. I have a few Palys that aren't my favorites. I'm aware of polytoxins. I'm not sure if these are dangerous at all but, I've handled them (moved them, etc) for 3 years with no problem. That said, they're starting to...
  6. sirvine24

I need a good magnetic glass scrapper for algae

I have the same flipper cleaner as in that link. It works very well on 12mm glass.
  7. sirvine24

Best Online Fish Store

Thanks for all the comments, I'm going to pull the trigger. @jtaylor I have a Naoko's too. Cool looking fish that was trying like crazy to jump out of the tank at first, but seems to have settled down lately.
  8. sirvine24

Ro trouble

I had a problem during the previous cold spell. I use the water line to my washing machine which also wasn't working. That reminds me to T off a slow drip to hopefully prevent freezing again.
  9. sirvine24

Best Online Fish Store

Has anyone had recent experience with Bluezoo Aquatics? https://www.bluezooaquatics.com/ They have a particular fish I've been looking for, but I'm nervous because it's an expensive one and it'll be my first time buying online. BTW @dz6t, great meeting you yesterday!
  10. sirvine24

Blue Mandarin, Captive-Bred, Biota

@GraniteReefer, Are you saying that the feeding habits/care of the captive bred is similar to the wild caught? If so, that helps, thank you.
  11. sirvine24

Blue Mandarin, Captive-Bred, Biota

This caught my eye while looking to round out my stocking list. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/5146/blue-mandarin-captive-bred-biota?pcatid=5146&c=747+871+5146 Does anyone have experience with these captive bred Mandarins? They are raised on prepared foods, but I know there's more to it. I...
  12. sirvine24

Back from the dead build thread...

Awesome tank! I may have missed it, but I'm curious what is you fish stocking list?
  13. sirvine24

New 180 Gallon SC Aquariums Build

I haven't used the Cepex, but these seem to be pretty high quality. Far better than the hardware store ones, but I've only had them installed for a couple months. Others that have had them for years could probably chime in. They are the same as the ones sold at Marine Depot with good reviews...
  14. sirvine24

New 180 Gallon SC Aquariums Build

I just went through all this. I found supplyhouse.com to be a good source for plumbing parts. The prices were better than most other places I looked, and they have true union ball valves for way cheaper than the cpex ones. I see that many people use them from posted tank plumbing photos.
  15. sirvine24

Long, Slow 100 Gallon Build

For stocking: Existing stocking list Black & White and regular ocellaris clown pair Yellow Coris Wrasse Starry Blenny Randall’s goby Pistol shrimp Cleaner Shrimp Fire Shrimp New additions so far: Trio of Carberryi Anthias Naoko’s Fairy Wrasse: Leopard Wrasse: That’s 10 fish so far. I’m...
  16. sirvine24

Up and running: It’s been up and running since November, the week before Thanksgiving. No casualties that I know of. Fish and corals are accounted for, as well as most inverts although there’s an emerald crag I haven’t seen in months. I’m sure some snails or hermits didn’t make it. There was...
  17. sirvine24

Tank Swap: First a dry fit Fresh water leak test Drained and added the cured rock that I previously aquascaped along with live sand. I also had to add a lot of shims to get everything level To transfer the from the old tank. I started by essentially doing a series of 10g water...
  18. sirvine24

Plumbing: The SCA has a center overflow with 3 holes pre-drilled, so I went with a herbie overflow. I have some pretty serious height constraints with the location I chose. The stand is only 28” tall, so once accounting for the extra bracing, there was only 23-24” of height to work with in the...
  19. sirvine24

DIY Complex Sump, Success, Failures, Lessons

Nice sump! I considered that design. But I have a fish closet I can take advantage of to hold my ATO so that freed the space up for a larger frag/fuge section.
  20. sirvine24

DIY Complex Sump, Success, Failures, Lessons

Yeah, I definitely learned some of my limitations, which is a good thing. Though I may like to try making a smaller aquarium in the future.
Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back