Search results

1. sirvine24

Removing Palys

I'm sure this topic has been covered, but I only saw a couple recent threads. I have a few Palys that aren't my favorites. I'm aware of polytoxins. I'm not sure if these are dangerous at all but, I've handled them (moved them, etc) for 3 years with no problem. That said, they're starting to...
  2. sirvine24

Blue Mandarin, Captive-Bred, Biota

This caught my eye while looking to round out my stocking list. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/5146/blue-mandarin-captive-bred-biota?pcatid=5146&c=747+871+5146 Does anyone have experience with these captive bred Mandarins? They are raised on prepared foods, but I know there's more to it. I...
  3. sirvine24

DIY Complex Sump, Success, Failures, Lessons

The design of my old sump, which maximized the refugium, worked for me. So, I pretty much wanted the same thing for this sump. The new sump would build on that design and add some features Here is my mockup of what it could look like. It adds a drain chamber, filter sock holder, and bubble...
  4. sirvine24

Evolution of the 36g: Retro-Build

My 100g build is under, so I'm throwing this up there since my 36gal bowfront's days are limited. It's technically my second saltwater tank, but my first learning about reefing. The madness began with this 9 gallon BiUbe that housed 2 clownfish (unfortunately only one is remains in the...
  5. sirvine24

Automated RODI TDS and Membrane Flush

This is a bit overdue as I've had this running for a few months. This came because I've got annoyed with waiting to flush the membrane or for the initial TDS creep water to run through. I've also mistakenly left my RODI running for days because I left the unit in flush mode by accident. I've...
  6. sirvine24

Long, Slow 100 Gallon Build

I hope to upgrade my 36 gallon to a 100gallon in the late summer/early fall. Here is the current 36 Acrylic Bow-front. In this location, a 4 ft tank will go from the white trim to the white trim. I’ve all but settled on the SCA aquariums 100 gal model. I like the eurobrace, herbie...
  7. sirvine24

Know a Good Structural Engineer?

I searched the archives and found the common question of will my floor support my very large tank, and the answer is usually get a structural engineer. Can anyone refer one? The first two I called won't work with condos, and the third said it would take $3K to take a look and run calculations. I...
  8. sirvine24

Hello, First post

Hello all, Spencer here. I've read posts a bit, and bought a few things on the "equipment for sale" forum. I have a 36 gal mix reef w/ 10g sump. It's been up and running for almost 2 years. It survived (mostly) one move from Cambridge to Dorchester. I love DIY projects, and will be upgrading...
Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back