Search results

1. maldenreefer

DIY Algae Reactor

Running experiments to see the actual benefit would be cool but I honestly haven't been diligent in testing parameters. My goal was simply to add another nutrient export method to my setup that I would measure in handfuls instead of ppm. Are there any drawbacks to running a refugium? My...
  2. maldenreefer

DIY Algae Reactor

8 days of growth
  3. maldenreefer

Nano Fish

I'm a big fan of the sailfin blenny. Colors are muted but I love how it just perches somewhere and gives you a dirty look all day. On the plus side it'll help you keep your tank clean of algae as well. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/94/?pcatid=94 Aside from that I have 2 firefish, nice to...
  4. maldenreefer

Gfo preference

Hmm, I've heard and read that GFO is useful but very expensive given how quickly it exhausts itself. Have you considered an algae reactor instead? I believe they accomplish the same goals. FWIW, I have a gallon of the BRS GFO brand, unopened for sale. Located in Malden.
  5. maldenreefer

DIY Algae Reactor

6. maldenreefer

DIY Algae Reactor

Parts: - Aquatop MR-30 Reactor - Accel Aquatics Warm-White High Output Water Resistant LED Strip Light with Transformer - 6 foot - Zipties - Extension cord from dollar store - Starter macroalgae from Dong :D My Somatic 60 sump lacks a true refugium area so I built a DIY external reactor that...
  7. maldenreefer

Switching from 20 AIO to 20 plumbed

http://gmacreef.com/herbie-overflow-reef-tank-plumbing-method-basics/ How is your drain plumbing setup? If you have 3 holes, a herbie would work.
  8. maldenreefer

Free 5g Water Jugs

Who needs a $100 ATO reservoir. Thanks Aaron.
  9. maldenreefer

New Camera! Yay!

Wow looks awesome, makes me want to consider getting a DSLR as well. Do you use any other filters or lenses to take these?
  10. maldenreefer

Algae Scrubber vs Algae Reactor

Have you tried adding more clean up crew to balance it out? I personally added an urchin to my tank and it devoured all the algae in sight.
  11. maldenreefer

How often do you lose fish?

That really sucks, I just had a six line wrasse jump out of my tank. I was mortified when I found him, thought he was a dried up leaf initially. Hope things turn around.
  12. maldenreefer

Leak Detection?

Was wondering if I could get recommendations on what people do for leak detection. This is the first time I've owned a large tank, 50 gallons, and I am now having awful thoughts about what a tank failure/leak would do to my apartment. My only saving grace is the floor is vinyl so it shouldn't...
  13. maldenreefer

Redgard - waterproofing membrane

I was going to apply the entire inside of my cabinet with this. Can you paint over it after it dries?
  14. maldenreefer

Redgard - waterproofing membrane

Anyone by chance use this stuff? Steve from SCA Aquariums said it was a good option for the MDF cabinet. Was wondering if anyone else has gone down this road.
  15. maldenreefer

Powerhead for nano

I have a 10g nano as well and am running this: https://www.amazon.com/Hydor-Koralia-Nano-Aquarium-Circulation/dp/B0036S4YZ0. Keep in mind at this price range these are all AC powered so they have only 1 speed. Placed it right under the return which has a Hydor deflector on it. You honestly...
  16. maldenreefer

Tank Photos

Would love to see more @madducks42!
  17. maldenreefer

Gauging Interest in BRS Shirts

I'm in. Adult medium.
  18. maldenreefer

BRS Gyre Test

This question spawned from a conversation with @dz6t but I was curious wanted to hear from other members of the community as well. In the above video BRS is doing a comparison test on powerheads on whether they create a gyre or not. Aside from the actual Maxspects, the Tunze 6085 powerhead...
  19. maldenreefer

Ann. BRS Bake Off Competition

Agreed, the flan and the chocolate cookies were my top 2. Was tough but I went with the chocolate cookies!
Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back