Search results

1. cilyjr

To all my east coast people

I'm settling in here in California. I've been slowly building a 40 breeder tank and finally have it in my apartment and it's filling with water as I write this. It's been quite a journey. I miss you all and of course my 180 but looking forward to new things going on here. Some of you all might...
  2. cilyjr

Diy frag rack for show tank

Hi all. I recently purchased a frag tank from advanced acrylic. I priced out building my own from a local acrylics store and it was actually about 25 bucks cheaper to buy built! I made a few quick racks to test my set up and breakdown which went well. I set up at the December meeting. But some...
  3. cilyjr

Tripp lite inverter, apex, and me

I purchased an inverter to run stuff if the power goes out after visiting @drsalomon the other day. We've all seen Greg Hiller's presentation or read his reefkeeping article on avoiding disasters, but it really sunk in the other day for me. I have a generator but what happens if I'm not here...
  4. cilyjr

Peristaltic pump and ca reactor

For those feeding their calcium reactor with a peristaltic pump, are you pushing or pulling through the reactor?
  5. cilyjr

Anyone dosing potassium nitrate?

I've never had detectable nitrate and I know many try to keep around 5ppm. So I was thinking of dosing some potassium nitrate to see if anything looks happier. Side note my Po4 hangs around .02 to .04.
  6. cilyjr

Ca reactor troubleshooting

Does anyone semi local to me have a second CO2 regulator that I might be able to use to troubleshoot a new calcium reactor? I am in the Warwick Rhode Island area
  7. cilyjr

New calcium reactor

I bought this little guy a month ago. My old PM cr422 simply wasn't big enough for my system anymore. Its the aquamaxx ctech t-3 calcium reactor. Its 2 feet tall with an 8 inch reaction chamber. I'm having more trouble than I would have thought dialing it in (being a ca reactor vet) but after...
  8. cilyjr

Clear top for 180.

I removed and replaced my braces some time ago to have clear acrylic to eliminate the shadows many of us have. The process was easy and went well. If you ever plan to do this you MUST brace the tank temporarily while cutting out the old brace. Well after doing so keeping aluminum frames for...
  9. cilyjr

.35 diurnal ph swing

I go from 8.01 to about 8.36 daily. I am wondering if a swing in that area is a big one or average. Thing is I run over night to combat it... Outside air pumped in from lights out to lights on. Reverse lighting on chaeto bucket. And kalk from lights out to lights on. My skimmer pulls outside...
  10. cilyjr

In Liu of a regular meeting in may

In liu of a regular meeting for may Justin Credabel of Credebel Coral Labs LLC. has invited us to an open house of his new facility in New London Ct. it will be on May 13th from 6pm - 11pm more details to follow address is 153 Bank St, New London, CT 06320
  11. cilyjr

Saturday April 8 with Justin Credabel

Boston Reefers Meetings are open to all Paid, non-paid and prospective members (family friendly environment) The next meeting of the Boston Reefers' Society will be on:Saturday,April 8th, 2017 noon to 4:00pm with Justin Credabel. The location is:Taunton VFW 82 Ingell St, Taunton, MA 02780...
  12. cilyjr

Auction eyecandy

We're going to start posting pictures of things donated here this week
  13. cilyjr

2017 BRS annual auction

Boston Reefers Meetings are open to all Paid, non-paid and prospective members-(family friendly environment) March 25th 2017 Annual BRS Auction Framingham VFW 12pm-5PM Hello BRS members, it's that time of year again! That's right, its auction time, and the time of year for us to pester you...
  14. cilyjr

Nitrates...what's the deal....

I have not tested nitrates in my system since I cycled my tank back in 2006. At first I didn't care as I was told nitrates were evil. So I didn't care they were 0 on my salifert kit. Then years go by and I'd test from time to time and always get a reading of 0. Then my nitrate test kit expired...
  15. cilyjr

Dc return pump failed...im out

Seriously the $400 ones fail. The $150 dollar cheapo ones fail. I'm out...going to buy a good old mag 18. You could drop it off a building and it would still work...
  16. cilyjr

Almost free upflow cheato reactor/fuge?

I don't know what to call it but in 10 days it grew to needing to harvest. Not sure it's large enough to show any real nutrient export benefits for a my 230g plus system but it was fun to see how fast it grew. The bucket was free the light I had from another failed project and the plumbing...
  17. cilyjr

After 4+ years of LED I'm going back to halide

I have 3 fixtures shipping monday. Lumatek adjustable ballasts with lumen max elite reflectors. Bet you are gonna ask why? Well here goes (This is NOT an anti LED thread) 1. my lights are getting older and I'm going to need to replace them (or the led pucks at least) in the next 2 years...
  18. cilyjr

February 26th meeting

February 26th Meeting 12:00-4:00 Derry-Salem Elks 39 Shadow Lake Rd Salem NH 03079 Monthly meetings are open to all and are family friendly. DIY meeting: how to photography, tank drilling, coral fragging, and more to follow. **All topics and times are subject to change at any time***...
  19. cilyjr

Auction volunteers needed.

HI all the annual BRS auction is a little ways down the road. So here's where we need.... your help! It's the biggest fund raiser for the club and takes all of you to help make it successful! You may be saying I'd love to help out but don't even know where or when it is? It's March 25th at...
  20. cilyjr

January 22 meeting with Dr. Andrew Rhyne

Boston Reefers Meetings are open to all Paid, non-paid and prospective members (family friendly environment) The next meeting of the Boston Reefers' Society will be on:Sunday,January 22, 2017 noon to 4:00pm with Dr. Andrew Rhyne . The location is:Taunton VFW 82 Ingell St, Taunton, MA 02780...
Back