Search results

1. Matt W

Packing your own Resin

I regenerated GFO... once. Not again! Just too messy and not worth it to my scale.
  2. Matt W

Packing your own Resin

This is the only way I've known to do it as well. I started to worry I wasn't doing something right, :)
  3. Matt W

Salifert Alk Test Kit Question

The most likely cause of your test being inaccurate is due to the KH solution. The KH-ind - the color indicator is very stable. The acid solution is likely no longer at the desired concentration of acid or normality. A) Short answer, not common but it happens more than you think. The...
  4. Matt W

My Kind of a 40 Breeder Build Thread

Used T5 set might not be a bad option.
  5. Matt W

Hanna meter

Personally, I prefer the ULR meter. Here is why. I treat phosphates as a limit test. My phosphate goals are in the range of 0.03 - 0.10 ppm. If my tank is high in phosphate, above 0.10 ppm, I don't care so much if the reading is 0.10 or 0.15 ppm. I need to reduce phosphate. If my tank is...
  6. Matt W

Hanna meter

The ULR is better if your tank goals are around 0.03-0.05 ppm or less. Anything higher, the LR meter is best. If your water is higher in phosphates, the precision of measurements made with a ULR meter will less in comparison to the LR meter. The LR meter has a wider range and will be more...
  7. Matt W

Reef keeper died

I like the Apex a lot. The base and the modular nature of their system also to add as you and they grow.
  8. Matt W

Test Kits

Being a chemistry and gadget nerd, I am going to give this one from Hannah a test... HI98319 Marine Salinity Tester Hanna is generally pretty good quality near lab grade equipment.
  9. Matt W

Reefsolutions

Stop stressing about my tanks as much and just enjoy them more! More acros! Start a new planted scape. The past two yr I have focused on my reef projects. I have been itching to do a new planted scape
  10. Matt W

Test Kits

Thanks! I'll give this a shot. It is kinda funny their customer service never mentioned these functions in my correspondence with them regarding calibration issues and it is on their own page.
  11. Matt W

Test Kits

Hmm, interesting. The ICE CAP makes no mention of this function. It is hard to believe these are different units.
  12. Matt W

Reseller rant

Perhaps abusers earn a shame badge. <iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/m6tmCnGCNvTby" width="480" height="269" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="">via GIPHY</a></p>
  13. Matt W

Test Kits

There is no way for the consumer to adjust or calibrate the probe. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  14. Matt W

Test Kits

Very much agree, indeed these are downsides to this probe, makes it basically disposable. I have had two go out of cal. but they haved replaced with no issue. For me with multiple tanks it is good; although I use orthogonal refractometer (as recommended cald with Ref Std) and apex probe.
  15. Matt W

Test Kits

Here is my lab area. Be careful with the silicone cup on that refractor. They no longer come with the cup due to interference. Good customer service and they sent me a new probe when mine went out of calibration Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  16. Matt W

World Wide Coral eBay auction - WTF?

Best time, in my opinion, to pick up some (obv not a Zenia or a Ducan) of the WWC nice corals is at their live sale. Still not local prices but as Andy said, not everyone has the luxury of awesome locals or time. I must admit, I am on the side of no time and will pick up frags from time to time...
  17. Matt W

List of local coral & fish (old thread)

Indeed, I will make a trip myself this week. Last time I was there I notice they have CFL bulbs to replace my Corallife unit. The light is amazing for growing house plants and the bulbs are hard to find!
  18. Matt W

List of local coral & fish (old thread)

Tropic Isle will be moving in 2019. Sold the current building. ATTENTION ALL CUSTOMERS Tropic Isle Aquarium is moving to a new location for JANUARY 2nd The new address will be 1094 Worcester Rd Framingham, MA The new location is right on RT 9 about a mile and a half west of our current...
  19. Matt W

$20 to whoever can ID this growth

Maybe give reefflux a try.
  20. Matt W

Zooanthid disease?

Not that is specific to your Zoa issue, but your alk can be considered somewhat high.
Back