135 gal with 40 gal sump

Abrooks12376

Non-member
Before i get to far. This build is for a planted discus tank. Fresh watah...i know.. I know... but! I want the option for a simple conversion to a reef if and when I decide to do so. I have a oceanic 135 gal that I will be taking apart and resealing. Figure I may as well poke a few holes in it while it's in pieces. 2- 1 1/4" holes on either corner with ghost style overflow boxes stuck to the glass sound ok? Over the top return. I'm only running a 600gph return pump for now. What flow rated boxes should I grab? I was thinking 1000 for each side?I'm sure I need to read up on this quite a bit more. I can't have to much flow for the discus but if it goes reef it will want a lot of flow. I'm not opposed to using powerheads in the future.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Can't wait to see this going.

I think you want to err on having too large an overflow... You can always dial back a pump or get a smaller pump, but you can't run more water through a smaller drain.

Can't wait to see this going.

I think you want to err on having too large an overflow... You can always dial back a pump or get a smaller pump, but you can't run more water through a smaller drain.
That tank sitting in the sun on weds should be a good start to stripping old silicone. I was just concerned with having to much water draining and the 600 gph pump not keeping up with return. Would the whole process be limited to the speed of the return pump or would it become a faster drain, slower return awkward cycle?

A gate valve can tune the drain. I use ball valves and they are more of a pain to dial in. One main drain on siphon, one with a trickle (makes it easier for dialing in because it doesn’t have to be percise) and one emergency.

I use the bean animal and a 1200gph drain overflow. In reality I have a 750gph return pump and it is getting like 200-300 gallons per hour. My ball valve is open only 1/3rd of the way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The speed it drains is determined by the speed of the return pump. It can't drain any more than the water you're returning to the tank. I have a 750gph glass holes overflow, and my return pump probably does 200-300gph (I have it dialed back, since I prefer a slower flow through the sump).

On the other hand, if the return pump it too large for the drain(s), it can certainly return more water to the tank than the drain can handle... that's bad, obviously ;)

The speed it drains is determined by the speed of the return pump. It can't drain any more than the water you're returning to the tank. I have a 750gph glass holes overflow, and my return pump probably does 200-300gph (I have it dialed back, since I prefer a slower flow through the sump).

On the other hand, if the return pump it too large for the drain(s), it can certainly return more water to the tank than the drain can handle... that's bad, obviously ;)
I'm thinking a 1,600 gph internal overflow on each end with 1" I.d. bulkheads. I like slower flow through the sump for this build. The sump will be more or less open, a huge block of foam and a basket of bio ceramics. Maybe a heater or two...

A gate valve can tune the drain. I use ball valves and they are more of a pain to dial in. One main drain on siphon, one with a trickle (makes it easier for dialing in because it doesn’t have to be percise) and one emergency.

I use the bean animal and a 1200gph drain overflow. In reality I have a 750gph return pump and it is getting like 200-300 gallons per hour. My ball valve is open only 1/3rd of the way!

I'm apprehensive to plumb in valves on the drains. I'm thinking limiting return flow will be safer. Plants melt and the mulm produced is excellent at clogging stuff!!

Limiting return flow gives you a silent drain. That’s why I limit it. And with potential clogging that’s why I went beam animal. Essentially 2 fully open drains (so it can take 5x what it normally gets). I do wish I did it in the corners so reduce shadowing in the center, but the triple drain in one overflow box gives me peace of mind (especially since I neglect the crap out of the tank at times!)

In pieces!!! Heavy sob...
db19a23587161ec5221e0194bbfdea4c.jpg

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back