180G Flow, anyone run Gyre's?

What should my flow be?

• 3 Vortech MP40's

• Neptune Wav

• 2 Gyre XF250's

Results are only viewable after voting.

Johnson556

Non-member
Going insane as to what my set up for flow will be for the SPS Dominant 180(72"x24"x24"). My fourth tank arrives today...if it isn't perfect expect a bunch of equipment for sale tomorrow.

I'm debating on 3 MP40's, the Neptune Wav's, or 2 Gyre XF250's and 1 MP40.

Anyone run the Gyre's? How are they, noise/durability etc?

Thanks,

Brandon

I ran a single Gyre XF150 in my 150g for a year plus. It created plenty of nice broad flow even turned down from 100% so it was almost silent. But I'm quite lazy and I didn't like the maintenance required. All "flow pumps" need to be cleaned now and then but the Gyres have so many parts compared to a single prop pump like the Wav or the MP40. And twice it stopped and required a top to bottom cleaning, even needed new bushings.

Now I have two Wavs instead. Much easier to clean and, of course, far few wires and power bricks since they just plug into the Apex. But they're big and ugly. If I was starting over I would consider the MP40s even though they are quite pricey.

Last edited:
I have been running two xf250's on my 150 gal for two months and haven't had a problem so far. I run them up to 80% and they are pretty quiet. Though I run them at a constant flow changing the rate of each hourly much like BRS.

I have a jaebo cp40 in my 180. Not powerful enough once you put rock structures up for whole tank action. I will try it on wave mode to see how that works, but I bought a second one to put at the bottom opposite side to complete the gyre if the pulse mode doesn’t give moderate flow on the opposite side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, going to end up with 4 MP40’s and two RFG nozzles. Copying @Tim190 set up because everytime I see his tank I lose my mind over how incredible it is.

So far I have 2 on either side running reef crest mode, anti-sync. The two PP-20’s run opposite of eachother in hour intervals. I’m finally seeing full polyp extension from my bubble gum milli and other SPS are thriving.

Attachments

• FFB25C78-423E-454B-96AC-1E348260A09D.jpeg
    FFB25C78-423E-454B-96AC-1E348260A09D.jpeg
    118.5 KB · Views: 203
I've got two 250's in my 180 plus a tunze stream and I feel that I don't have enough flow in some areas of my tank. I guess it all depends on your rock work. The gyres are silent. I had an impeller motor on a gyre 250 rust before after almost two years... besides that the gyres have been reliable.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back