40b Peninsula Build

Well after selling my 90gal mixed reef a little over a year ago, I have decided i wanted back into reefing. We’ve moved and I found an ultimate spot for a nice little peninsula setup. I am both intrigued and intimidated by this build due to trying to keep it as clean and simple as possible.

The display will be a 40b and I will be using a 20L as a sump. I am using the tank to separate the chair and the couch in our new apartment. The tank is right at arm level when sitting, making the viewing ideal from either side.

View attachment 116409View attachment 116410View attachment 116411View attachment 116412

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

very nice.
you must be a very handy person.
Just a comment on the stand. I think for a 40g tank should be okay but any thing bigger might be a problem (still, 40g is still a lot of weight). The top frame needs a little stronger support. Right now the top frame is being held with just screws.

A little update:

Unplugged one of the powerheads and found that the flow increased. Being behind the wall, they aren’t getting enough flow to recirculate. I will add a smart wave, and set them on an alternating pattern. Also dropped in a second mag5, and plumbed the returns independently. Holy crap, what a difference. Water level in the display raised about a 1/4 of an inch. Going to put a T in one of the lines, with a ball valve to bleed off some of the flow, to lower the water level in the display a smidgen. A little too close to the rim for my comfort.

This is working wonderfully. Just a slight turn of the valve and i can raise/lower the water level in the display. Now the drain is good and loud. Haha. GlassHoles says it takes time to quiet down, as it needs to build a slime coat and whatnot.

IMG_3042.JPG

How about an update? It’s been 6 months now. The original power heads failed. I have changed them out for some Jaebo RW4’s and am having much better luck with them. Also, they flow a ton more water.

Went ahead and pulled the lenses off the LED’s in the black box. You can see in the early photos, there is a “hotspot” in the middle of the tank where all the light was focused. Removing the lenses opened up the angle of light, so I was able to move the light closer to the water.

I picked up a pair of extreme Picasso clowns from OSA and they are happy and healthy. Picked up a yellow tang and ended up getting ich. The tang didn’t make it, but luckily the clowns did. A little hospitalization, a fallow period, and here we are. Fully up and running, 2 clowns, a starry blenny, a longspine urchin, and a handful of inverts. Tank is still a little ugly, but it’s getting there.

0ca6e5d7ca7e49432a7d87fece6e4bea.jpg
eecfb777e98ec63397e99eb91c3e7c69.jpg

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back