Advice on large dead fish

Terry Martin

BRS Member
I have a 200 gallon reef tank. My 5 inch blue throat triggerfish stopped eating 3 days ago, would just trigger into the rock work and sit there looking lethargic but with no obvious markings of disease, and refusing to eat. For the last 36 hours I can't see the triggerfish and I sadly presume it retreated into the rock work and died or is dying. All 15 of the other fish show no signs of illness and are eating normally.
If I can't get the triggerfish out of the tank, is there anything I should do to deal with the consequence of a large fish decaying. I have some hermits, snails and shrimp.
Thanks for your help.

I would think Mother Nature will take it’s course and everyone in the tank will have a natural snack.

Anytime I've had a fish die in my tank it was consumed by the next day. I'd say get it out if you can, if not don't worry much over it as the cuc should take care of it, but a decent water change in a day or two wouldn't be a bad idea IMO.

'll assume that if you can't get the fish out of the rocks that you have a lot of rocks. You should be ok just keep a close eye on the rest of the fish in case of disease.

Agree with the rest. Bristle worms in my tank devour anything that dies in a day or two (even a 4 inch clam).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have not seen his body yet, there is hope that he is still alive but resting. How long do you have it?

I’ve had him for about 2 years with no issues. But you’re right, Dong, he turned up last night lying awkwardly on a rock and I got him to eat some fish frenzy by putting it up against his mouth with some tweezers. He has no visible markings and decent color but seems to be straining to do anything,sit, move, eat.

Great to hear that!
Feed him as much as possible and don’t take him out, leave him alone please. I have seen fish recover from situation as bad as that.

Great to hear that!
Feed him as much as possible and don’t take him out, leave him alone please. I have seen fish recover from situation as bad as that.

great, thanks dong; i'll do that and hope for the best

Great to hear that!

Dong - The Trigger turned up yesterday in front of tank so could photograph better and it's got quite alot of white spots that have
just emerged. It did eat a bit yesterday reluctantly. It sat in this position or nearby all day and night. Do you still think I should leave it in the
tank or is there some medicinal treatment I should do in a hospital tank. I could set one up. Not sure what to do. Thanks.

trigger1.jpg
trigger2.jpg

Disconnect the refugium while using this medication.

It won't affect any of my coral? Can it be used with nopox (carbon dosing?)? Do you have any in stock I could buy?

Is fluconazole the same stuff? I used to rid tank of bryopsis. If so I have some on hand.

Yes it is the same stuff

Would you dose the same as for algae, 200mg / 10 gallons, no carbon or skimmer, and no water change for 2 weeks

My tank is currently on week 3 with reef hd and have clams and sps. A lot of my snails died from it ( lack of food )

I don't think it take that long for curing fungal infection on fish. Normally 3 to 4 days of medication should take care of the fungus infection.
If the infection clears, you can stop the medication. No more than 7 days for fungus.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back