afboundguy's downsizing (or upgrading???) 25 gallon cube build

Finished staining the tank on Sat... Hoping to pick it up tomorrow and give it a quick waxing to further protect it... Picked up some live rock from Peter (PVH) on Sat and the plan is to start with all new rock :D Schedule for the swap got moved back thanks to the "awesomeness" of my work :(

Might fill it up with water tomorrow night so I don't have to keep the rock in a bucket :D... Pics to come soon...

Boy am I slacking... Very busy at work and trying to get the tank totally done. It's up and running just not 100% done...

Here's a few pictures...

After the staining... I just did a clear coat of poly. I wanted to do a little darker stain but Kim and her dad convinced me to just go with the clear poly and I'm glad I did... Really happy with it. Did about 4 coats with sanding inbetween coats and then used a marine wax to give it a little extra protection from water...

23.jpg

Last edited:
Next step was to install a small shelf... Idea from the get go was to simplify almost every aspect of the tank and not have as much "fish junk" in the living room and attic... So I needed a small shelf for the extra storage...

Used some extra pre-stained wood from my father-in-law's stash and made a quick shelf. I wanted the RO/DI water to be able to fit in the stand so I used them along with a small box to level it out before screwing in the angled metal...

25a.jpg
25b.jpg
25c.jpg
25d.jpg

Last edited:
Next I had to decide how to keep the fish in the tank :p The back of the canopy is wide open. I decided to use some of the left over plastic screen mesh I purchased to cover my old 55 and 29... I stapled the mesh to the back of the canopy and left the last few inches unattached and cut out some of the aluminum frame so that it would sort of snap into place... Happy with the results...

26a.jpg

Please excuse the wrinkly mesh... It's been balled up in a bag in the attic for a while :rolleyes:

26b.jpg

Last edited:
I made up my mind not to paint the back of the tank... Instead I just purchased some of that reversable black/blue background. I learned from past background applications and taped the entire top and sides so that I wouldn't get any salt creep from water spills :D

From inside...
27a.jpg

Outside view...
27b.jpg

Last edited:
Next was a waiting game for the lights to come in... I almost gave up and did the tank swap with the intentions of using my 30" T5 light corner to corner so the corals would have some light but they finally came!!!

I wanted a total of 16 GU10 LED bulbs that I found out about from Ray from Peabody and looked at the thread about them on some other forum (can't remember off the top of my head) In the thread I believe it was mentioned that the 3x1W version had a little bit more spread than the 1x3X version so I ordered 8 3x1W blue and 8 3x1W cool white... Well just my luck I got the 1x3W version and since it took almost a month to get them in the first place I didn't make a huge stink about it and they're working out fine so far...

Pre-fab...

28.jpg

More pictures and updates to come later... Have to dig up what little pictures I took of the process and take some more pictures...

Last edited:
i heard thay are good with corals but you have to watch out for other fish.
a dogfish might be handy to get it out of there

No rocks left in the old tank...

utf-8BSU1BRzAwNzQuanBn.jpg

Stuck some of the rocks in buckets and the 29 gallon "QT" tank...

First shots of tank being filled up with rocks. Most of the rock didn't make the cut as I ended up using one large piece from the old set up and two smaller ones to make kind of a cave like structure... I'll try to snap some finished shots... I have lots of time off after today!!!

32.jpg

Last edited:
Took some shots this morning...

Pictures of the ghetto fabulous LED set up... Looks fine when the canopy is all closed up :D

33a.jpg
33b.jpg

Last edited:
Here are some pictures of the old 55...
34a.jpg
34b.jpg

Attachments

• 34c.jpg
    34c.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 404
Last edited:
Getting some crazy polyp extension but the coloring on the SPS are still a little browned out :( Slowly acclimating the corals to the LED lights... I'm up to about 5 or 6 hours and bringing it up about 30 mins more a week... Colors are slowly slowly getting their color back...

37a.jpg
37b.jpg
37c.jpg

Last edited:
Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back