afboundguy's downsizing (or upgrading???) 25 gallon cube build

Looks awesome! I recently also just downgraded from my 55 and like it so much better, I'm sure you will too!

Nice setup! What are you using for filtration?

Right now just a small internal skimmer but eventually nothing... Will rely on just water changes...

Looks awesome! I recently also just downgraded from my 55 and like it so much better, I'm sure you will too!

It's nice and makes the room look much bigger...

Great looking tank I love the ghetto leds.

What can I say I love ghetto rigging stuff... Looks fine when the top is on so that's all that matters :p

Can I ask where you ordered GU10 LEDs? They look slightly different.

Info here... Got the heads up on these from Ray http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=267432

It's kind of quieter... I haven't totally quieted it... The skimmer is a little noisy but that's just a short term thing more than likely and you can't really hear it over the a/c and fans :p One of the pumps is a little loud. Maybe loud isn't the right word, you can hear it vibrating something a little but again not over the a/c and fans... So I have a few more months before I really need to tackle those :D

Geez Dave. I haven't been on in a bit. I didn't know you were downsizing. You didn't mention it. Looks good so far. I debated downsizing my 90. Not a lot of time for it with the new baby but we are still going with it.

Geez Dave. I haven't been on in a bit. I didn't know you were downsizing. You didn't mention it. Looks good so far. I debated downsizing my 90. Not a lot of time for it with the new baby but we are still going with it.

It's definitely easier and hopefully cheaper in the long run :D

I like how you used the Quahog shells to mount things. It's such a great idea I might use it ... (evil face)

Yeah it's good for things that encrust... Now that I'm back to spot feeding the LPS again hopefully they'll start encrusting more...

Nice job dave, get those acans back into top form so you can frag em for me!

53a.jpg
53b.jpg

Last edited:
Cramming as much stuff as I can under the stand :D I probably have more room in this one that the 55 because I don't have a sump and everything else I crammed in there lol...

54.jpg

Last edited:
It's been a while since I've updated everybody. Been a little hectic with work, personal life and attempting to run the club :p

Tank was pretty much ignored and went south. But the past 2-3 weeks I've actually been doing water changes and it's making a huge difference, shocking huh?

So I've added some more sand to thicken up the sandbed a few months ago, rearranged the rockwork last week, remounted some frags, upgraded the PH's for a little more flow and as or right now I upgraded the skimmer. I'm still up in the air about keeping the skimmer but it's pretty damn quiet so it's Kim-approved. Tank is cloudy from the water change I just did but I'll try snapping some photos either tomorrow or Thursday...

I'm also contemplating hooking up the 2 part doser I got from Greg Hiller forever ago that nobody seems to be interested in. I can only imagine how nice the tank would be if the chemistry was correct. I stopped dosing 2 part maybe a month after I started doing it by hand. I just have to figure out how loud it would be inside the stand, if I could get it to all fit inside the stand and if Kim would be pissed about me drilling a hole in the back of the stand (not that that would really persuade me not to :p) I have a digital timer that can be programmed something like 20-30 on/off periods a day in minute increments but I lost the directions and haven't sat down to tinker with the programming yet.

As some may have seen I'm also looking at getting a controller and possibly upgrading to an AI Sol (or equivalent LED fixture) so I can have more control over the intensity and coloring of the lights. I've got a birthday coming up in May so hopefully I can get one or the other for a b-day gift and get the rest of the funds from a combined b-day/graduation event :D

Stay tuned and keep bugging me for photos...

Ok finally got a few seconds to snap a few quick pictures of the tank... Snapped these really quickly but the tank is starting to fill up. I went and looked at the last FTS I posted and looks much different :D

56.jpg

Last edited:
Here are a few pictures of the 2 part system I hooked up last week... Used one of Greg Hiller's dosing pumps and drilled a few small holes in the top shelf inside the stand.

57a.jpg
57b.jpg
57c.jpg

Last edited:
Drilled some holes out the back of the stand and plumbed the lines up and over the tank to separate sides of the tank. Both parts get dosed at the same time which I know isn't ideal but I'm dosing about 8 ml a day spread out over 5 times a day and they're coming into the tank right on top of the powerheads so they get dispersed quite quickly...

Just need that damn Apex to make it look much prettier :p

58a.jpg
58b.jpg
58c.jpg

Last edited:
Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back