afboundguy's downsizing (or upgrading???) 25 gallon cube build

New kitty and puppy's first reef purchase... I think they liked it!!!
20160105_104145_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Presents were MP10 and a new Reef Octopus BH 50 skimmer!!! Can't wait to install these bad boys just need to wait for paint to dry!!!

20160105_102754_resized.jpg
20160105_104732_resized.jpg

Last edited:
I must have put on 5 or 6 coats of paint. The tank is right near a window so I opened up the shades (normally keep them shut for algae prevention) and kept looking through the tank and thought I saw spots that weren't covered that I kept missing. Come to find out it was algae on the inside of the tank :rolleyes:

All done!!! I'll update with more pictures when the paint is dry and the tank is put back together with all the new goodies...

20160105_120156_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Got the new skimmer up and running... Thing is super quiet... Thinking about painting part that's in water black to make it less noticable...

104.jpg

Last edited:
As you can see the skimmer is kind of an eye soar compared to the hydor slim skim... Here are some FTS with a lot of the purple kenya tree already been trimmed...

106a.jpg
106b.jpg

Last edited:
Brushing up on my picture skills... They still suck lol... All the fish pictures were way to grainy as I didn't let tank settle long enough...
107a.jpg

Polyp extension is already making a comeback with the better flow...

107b.jpg

Last edited:
It's an internal skimmer. I can't really do an HOB one because of how the canopy is. My old skimmer was an internal skimmer as well back left but it was black acrylic...

20151224_122139_resized_1.jpg

Last edited:
Well time for a revival... Just read through the whole thread again and miss how many corals I used to have ::. Finally got around to what seems to be my yearly water change and cleaning post auction lol...

Wish I had snapped some pictures before I trimmed the purple tree and showed off the aiptasia fields I was growing but I forgot. Have a few digi's and easy SPS I'm going to try... I'll snap some pictures later on today before work once the lights come back on... If you're bored and have a few minutes start from the beginning I'm glad I kept a record of the tank even though it's sad to see how many corals I used to have when I had more time for the tank but we're getting around to cleaning out the room the tank is in. It's currently the "if it doesn't have a spot in the house put it there room" until my father in law finished making the desk so we turn it into the work space/office. Which means the wife will be in there more so I'll have to keep the tank cleaner since she'll be looking at it more lol...

Future plans involve more corals and I have to sand and repaint the inside of the canopy gloss white again. 5 or 6 years of salt creep has taken a toll on it lol...

As promised here are some updated pictures... I did end up painting the skimmer but it needs a re-print...

112a.jpg
112b.jpg

Attachments

• 112c.jpg
    112c.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 329
Last edited:
Coming along nicely - I like the little archway you've got.

I realize orange is Reef Octopus' color, but you'd think they would anticipate the kind of eye-sore that orange makes in a tank... It looks much better the way you have it painted.

Coming along nicely - I like the little archway you've got.

I realize orange is Reef Octopus' color, but you'd think they would anticipate the kind of eye-sore that orange makes in a tank... It looks much better the way you have it painted.

It was even better when the bottom piece was black... But yes it was annoying to look at. Great little skimmer for my tank but annoying to look at.

Hey that's not as bad as you made it sound! I only see one blue tree too!

That's because I forgot to snap a picture before I started hacking away... All you could see was purple tree and then the toadstool and the leather coral...

I'll have to bust out the DSLR to take some better pictures... Those were just taken quickly with my cell phone...

I did have to turn off the skimmer it was overflowing as I used some reef putty to mount the corals and re-secure the archway a little bit better...

And I should be picking up some more SPS corals within a week and I think I might have to start dosing again :rolleyes:

Who is this guy? 2 weekly water changes in a row? I think my tank might crash from being too clean!!!

Only took 5 or 6 days for the skimmer to get back to normal after using the epoxy putty. I also started dosing again. I had some leftover reef additive I've been using. Found my 2 part containers down in the basement going to start dosing 2 part again by hand in a few weeks once the additive is all used up...

Picked up some SPS from steevaro a few days ago going to mount them on the rockwork soon and I'll post some pictures then. Hoping to pick up an elegance from Frank the next few days as well and should be good for corals.

I'm also thinking of grabbing a yellow coris wrasse. Had one for years and loved the little guy. I also need to replenish the clean up crew. I think I have 2 or 3 snails and one decent sized red hermit crab...

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back