afboundguy's downsizing (or upgrading???) 25 gallon cube build

afboundguy

Acan's are inedible candy
Staff Member
BRS Member
So as a few of you may know I've decided to downsize the tank from my current 55 gallon setup. I've just been to busy with work and school to give it the care it needs. So I'm going smaller and much simpler.

New tank is Dr. Steve's old 25 gallon tank that's brand spanking new... Dimensions are 20"x18" and 16" high. Starphire glass on three sides :D

I'll be keeping a running documentary of most of the build... It will be a little slow sometimes so bear with me...

Plans to include no skimmer with just a HOB filter turned into a fuge. LED lights and some JBJ nano pumps on a wavemaker. I plan on trying to use some of the rock from my two tanks to make something look nice...

Tank pictures :D
2a.jpg

Can you tell which side isn't starphire :p I was amazed how clear they looked even without water in them... The new kitten jumped in and I looked at her through both panels... Can't wait to see some corals :cool:
2b.jpg

Last edited:
Only work I've done is primed/sealed the inside of the canopy. Picked up some high gloss white paint that I'm hopefully going to apply on Wed... Matching stand is being built and will hopefully be done by next week when I'm on vacation with nowhere to go so I can play :D

3a.jpg
3b.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the offer Matt and Mike... Mike I work every Thur-Sat so you're out of luck :p

Just ordered some LED bulbs and sockets :D Couldn't paint the canopy due to the stupid rain :(

Tank pictures :D

IMG_5509.jpg

Can you tell which side isn't starphire :p I was amazed how clear they looked even without water in them... The new kitten jumped in and I looked at her through both panels... Can't wait to see some corals :cool:

I'll take a potshot and say it's the rear pane in the pic . LOL
BTW I love starfire glass ..

IMG_5510.jpg

Nice start on a new endeavor ...

So what's the gameplan on the aqua-scape ?

Last edited:
So what's the gameplan on the aqua-scape ?

No real clue... Just know I don't want any rockwork touching the sides of the tank...

Ordered the powerheads yesterday :D Was going to go with the Koralia Nano's but I found a sweet deal and for only about $20 more I got the new new JBJ nano pumps with wavemaker . I've read some really good things about them and the price was right :cool:

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back