After 4+ years of LED I'm going back to halide

Only pictures I have available are these. Bubblegum digi 1 month of growth. May 11 to June 12
20170511_164208_zpsamrhosjv.jpg

20170612_173116_zpsdmrmswwu.jpg

I will not use any other lighting. I may add 2 led strips for some of the "fun" effects. But the 3 bulbs provide plenty of light. There a few corals about mid way deep (roughly 12 to 14 inches below the waterline) that reach photosaturation about 1and a half hours before the lights go out.

The electric bill is about the same compared with last year. I actually had a day last week where the heaters never went on during a 24hr period. The tank temp was roughly 79 for the same period.

Still very happy with my choice. I did add 2 of the sol blues to my tank because I wanted to use them to ramp up than down before the MH came on. I also use them as a moonlight.

Just after install
20170205_133507_zpsvjipcujy.jpg

Nov (10 months after install)
20171108_182702.jpg

Excellent growth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just purchased three Reefbrite mh/led pendants with their pendants and running their 14k twin-arc bulbs... I'm only running them five hours a day while I acclimate my corals, and after 4 days my ph has risen .2 higher during the photoperiod than with my previous led/t5 hybrid.... 100% coverage of the tank... I could not be happier.

IMG_0770.JPG.jpeg IMG_0772.JPG.jpeg

So you ditch the Kessils?

What light were you using before the halides?

Halides are still the best for large tanks.

Paul (@reefkeeper2)does well but he has 14 ai and/or echotech intermixed. Which supports my thinking that led is more about the spread than anything else.

What light were you using before the halides?

Pacific Sun Led/T5 fixture. Loved it... But I really can't believe how amazing the halides look. Why did I wait so long??!!

I've spent about two hours on the phone with Tullio from Reefbrite this week. I learned so much about light! Man, he likes to talk.

Paul (@reefkeeper2)does well but he has 14 ai and/or echotech intermixed. Which supports my thinking that led is more about the spread than anything else.

Yes. Led does not lack Par, they lack spread.

I've been running the reefbrite 14k twin-arc bulbs for about a week, 6 hours a day average and the arc tubes look like they are burned a little... Is this the "burn in" period? Is this normal?

Attachments

• IMG_0793.JPG.jpeg
    IMG_0793.JPG.jpeg
    97.2 KB · Views: 239
That is normal. The mercury inside made the bulb looks dark. Actually it is sign that the bulb is new.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back