Algae question

SteveDola

Good Tings
BRS Member
I have a slight problem with nuissence red algae. I have tried more current, adding a refugium with cheto, have a skimmer and DO NOT over feed. I am wondering if it is possible that I do not have enough LR in my tank to filter the nitrates in the system which in turn will lead to more freakin algae. I only have about 30 lbs in a 50 gallon tank. I have made arrangements to buy 25 lbs but will this be enough. I really do not like the look of an over stocked Rock reef so i wanted to keep my LR to a max of 50lbs. any ideas? am i right or are there other solutions to my problem.

What lights are you running in your tank? How old is the bulbs?
Are you using RO/DI water?

Are you still interested in the LR?

Gustavo

NEo,
I have duel 175Metal Halide, could be 8/9 months old, of course i use RODI.
Actually there is a member that I am picking up from today. She only lives 20 minutes away in RI and I hadnt heard from you since my last PM. I wasnt willing to drive to marlborough again. Good luck with your tank.

the bulbs are 8-9 months old or the tank? If the bulbs how old is the tank?

i bought them from a reefer on ebay who claimed ( and I could only assume he was truthful) that the bulbs were 2-3 months old. I have had them running on my reef since feb/march. So I figured that they were around 8-9 months. But heres the situation...only half of my tank has the cyno and it looks like it stops right at the half way point where the lights split. SO im thinking that one of the bulbs is old and he only changed the other one.
Also, I picked up 20 more pounds of LR from Skydolphan and I going to see how that helps out the fitration. I think Im going to have to buy a new bulb. 10 K seems the way to go...my lights came with 6500k so ill try this. Is it ok to have 6500 on one side with 10k on the other??

Have you tested for nitrates and phosphates?
How's your skimmer: working well? Powerful enough?

How many fish in the tank? Is your bioload too much?
Are you using RO or RO/DI water for water changes?

nitrates = .1
phos = ?
Skimmer is an aqua c remora HOT and I usually empty 3 times a month of 2/3 full receptical waste
I use RODI water for everythingI have 5 fish ( scopas,2cardinals, 2 percs) and some corals (hammer, tourch, Ric, Xenia) for a 50 gallon w/50 lbs LR with refugium w/cheto & calerpa.
I really dont think its my water but I could be wrong. I have the algae growing on only half of the tank...which leads me to believe that the lights have somehting to do with it. Oh and my bulbs are 6500k which some one has told me can lead to more algae.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back