Aquarium Chiller help please - My water is getting over 80 degrees even with no heater

thespsguy

Non-member
Guys I heard that I should buy aquarium chiller for my 120 gallon is getting to hot. Any tips???
I saw
s-l225.png

JBJ Arctica DBA-075 1/10 HP Titanium Aquarium Chiller for $260. Is this good?
Thanks

Not familiar with chillers myself. Have you tried a fan across the water surface for evaporative cooling? It might Atleast work until you get the chiller figured out

What is the room temperature?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you using a digital thermometer?

I’d sell you my 1/10 chiller for $150 but i’m Not sure it would be enough. Did this just start happening today?

Are you using metal halide? Do you check if the heater is working properly? Any chance it stunk on?
If you are using a large AC return pump, switch to DC return pump not only can lower your electricity cost, also wont heat up the water much.

I would add to what Dong said. Is there a canopy which may be trapping heat if not ventilated? I see that you are a new member to BRS. Is this a new tank setup? Are you using a temperature controller on your heaters. They are used as a failsafe for faulty heater thermostats.

Are you using metal halide? Do you check if the heater is working properly? Any chance it stunk on?
If you are using a large AC return pump, switch to DC return pump not only can lower your electricity cost, also wont heat up the water much.

No Im not.

Guys I WANT TO THINK EVERYONE FOR THE TIME AND HELP FISRToF ALL. I wrote in capital to make clear how to appreciate I'm. But here is the situation. I have no chiller, one tank 50 gallons runs with a cascade penn plex filter for 150-gallon filtration only no sump, no skimmer. Water is perfect condition and 8 small fishes. That was all recommended by Lovely Pets, now the new tank 120 gallons gets the water up to 80dg and has 2 same filter pennplex150 gallons each, only life rocks inside, live sand and cycling before fishes, tomorrow a guy from Petco is coming to install a brand new sump that I bought from Drs Smith for $400 PROFLEX SUMP MODEL #4, and he will install in a couple of weeks the Nyos skimmer 160 $500 ....So Im'affraid after all this equipment the water will even get hotter. So that's why I'm asking if I should use the chiller and if the which model, 1/10hp , 1/4hp? Please help me guys, thanks again

It just does not make sense why the water can get that hot.
For fish only, it really does not matter if the temperature hit 80F. What temperature do you set your heater on?

What type of lighting are you running?
T5 5 feet long on the 120 and on 55 Fluval 25000K is very hot and seats right against to the water like 3 inches away
It just does not make sense why the water can get that hot.
For fish only, it really does not matter if the temperature hit 80F. What temperature do you set your heater on?
Is no heater my dear, I did turn off...however the light is very hot...show I use a chiller or not?

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back