Are damsels THAT bad??

Sdeluca10

BRS Member
So I have a new tank that I started off with five damsels (to get it up and running) currently have a couple of clown fish and a fire fish. The damsels have not shown any aggression towards each other or the other fish. (It’s been like 2 weeks). I’m about to acquire a large amount of live rock to more than Fill my 125 gallon tank. My question is do I take those five damselfish out of my tank completely in the anticipation that they are going to become very aggressive towards future fish or can they stay with any future fish, knowing there’s going to be a lot of live rock in the tank for shelter?
Has anyone had any good luck with damsels in a full reef tank or they basically just always a nuisance??

Damsels I've had always seem to disturb the peace in my tanks. No real meanies, but just nuisance behavior. Saying ALL are this way isn't fair as I have a Talbot's Damsel that's one of my favorite fish, but I'll never own any of the striped varieties again for sure! wicked little D-heads.....

So I have a new tank that I started off with five damsels (to get it up and running) currently have a couple of clown fish and a fire fish. The damsels have not shown any aggression towards each other or the other fish. (It’s been like 2 weeks). I’m about to acquire a large amount of live rock to more than Fill my 125 gallon tank. My question is do I take those five damselfish out of my tank completely in the anticipation that they are going to become very aggressive towards future fish or can they stay with any future fish, knowing there’s going to be a lot of live rock in the tank for shelter?
Has anyone had any good luck with damsels in a full reef tank or they basically just always a nuisance??
Your better off with chromis imo. Damsels when it's in a tank for a long term you can no longer put any other fish in their size. And it's pain in the a** to get rid of them later on if you decided to. I had them in my first tank 90g and have to end up taking all the rock out just to get rid of them. So with your tank size 125g I say a group of chromis or anthias will look much better.

Damsels I've had always seem to disturb the peace in my tanks. No real meanies, but just nuisance behavior. Saying ALL are this way isn't fair as I have a Talbot's Damsel that's one of my favorite fish, but I'll never own any of the striped varieties again for sure! wicked little D-heads.....
Only had a talbot and he's been good! 65G with bicolor and algae blenny, cardinalfish, clowns and orchid dotty

Really depends upon the species. Some are horrific. I've had really good luck with the Yellowtail Damselfish (Chrysiptera parasema). They are very long lived (for damsels, expect 2-6 years), very hearty, always out in the open, swimming here and there, and don't bother much except themselves (and sometimes my arm!).

Really depends upon the species. Some are horrific. I've had really good luck with the Yellowtail Damselfish (Chrysiptera parasema). They are very long lived (for damsels, expect 2-6 years), very hearty, always out in the open, swimming here and there, and don't bother much except themselves (and sometimes my arm!).
And they have great color for just a little bit of money.

Back