B ionic 2 part to 1 part solution

Ptreef

BRS Member
Has anyone tried premixing part 1 and 2 and diluting 1:10 or so in water? I'm wondering if I can make a 1 part solution for balanced dosing this way or if it will crash out.

My understanding is it will precipitate out. You could look into Tropic Marine All for Reef. Not sure on the chemistry or effectiveness but it's a 1 part Alk, CA, and Mg dosing mix.

Last edited:
If your alkalinity demand is not very high, try Kalkwasser. All-for-reef has its issues, it is calcium formate, it adds calcium no problem, but it depends on the bacteria in your tank to biologically convert formate to carbon dioxide then carbon dioxide turns into bicarbonate due to the alkaline pH in reef tank (the main component of alkalinity). So the addition of alkalinity is not instant. I have seen many cases that alkalinity keep rising over a long period of time, from hours to overnight.
For example, a member dosed AFR and tested his alkalinity at 9, then he tested again the next day, he was shocked to see the alkalinity had risen to 14.

For example here:
From Formate, as in All-for-Reef, it can be biologically converted to carbon dioxide (pathway on the left), which is how it add alkalinity.
But it also can be converted to formaldehyde, (pathway on the right), which is not that good.
1664759469965.jpeg

Thanks, I've been a b ionic user all my reefing life but recently switched to all for reef due to a stocking issue. My SPS growth has been much higher with afr but I feel like I'm also getting strange die off events, rtn and random euphyllia death during head splitting. Likely headed back to b ionic but got spoiled by the 1 part addition.

Thanks, I've been a b ionic user all my reefing life but recently switched to all for reef due to a stocking issue. My SPS growth has been much higher with afr but I feel like I'm also getting strange die off events, rtn and random euphyllia death during head splitting. Likely headed back to b ionic but got spoiled by the 1 part addition.
If possible, pick up a couple BRS dosers and you're set. 1 part or 10 doesn't really matter too much if automated.

As Dong said, Kalkwasser with stirrer could be another solution.

For example here:
From Formate, as in All-for-Reef, it can be biologically converted to carbon dioxide (pathway on the left), which is how it add alkalinity.
But it also can be converted to formaldehyde, (pathway on the right), which is not that good.
View attachment 183347
Thanks good to know. I'll pass on the formaldehyde lol

From what the company was saying they said if you have problems maintain levels they say we should use the a and b along with AFR. So far my dosing is good with AFR, but will see in a few days.

I I had issues with my ph when using all-for-reef so switch to b_ionic
That is because the end product from the biological conversion from AFR by bacteria is carbon dioxide.
Tropic Marin themselves said in their workshops that AFR did take time to generate alkalinity, from hours to a day or so depending on the bacteria cultures in the tank, and they said it was a good thing, which I disagree.

From what the company was saying they said if you have problems maintain levels they say we should use the a and b along with AFR. So far my dosing is good with AFR, but will see in a few days.
If you need to also dose 2-part I’d rather just do 2-part vs. dosing a 2-part and a 1-part.

If you need to also dose 2-part I’d rather just do 2-part vs. dosing a 2-part and a 1-part.
That is exactly on point.
One part dosing exists before by using calcium acetate, which do not have formaldehyde issue but it never become mainstream as it depletes oxygen level rapidly. TM claimed that by using AFR, it won’t affect oxygen level as much. But I don’t see any study to backup their claim. In theory, it may be a slight difference in oxygen consumption by bacteria but it should not be a big difference unless they can prove it.
Also, either AFR, (calcium formate ) and calcium acetate are a form of carbon dosing which grows bacteria, good and bad, and that may impact nutrient levels as they should.
The bottom line is that I will stick to two part dosing or calcium reactors.

TM said two-part dosing adds sodium chloride to the water and AFR does not. Indeed two-part dosing adds sodium chloride to the salt water, but lets see how much it may add:

75 gallon seawater weighs 290 kg
Which contains more than 9000 grams of sodium chloride
If average daily alkalinity consumption is 1 dkh, you will be adding approximately 6 gram of sodium chloride from two-part dosing. That is 0.07% change. That can’t even be detected by salinity probe nor a refractometer.

Consider sodium chloride is the primary component of sea water, and sea water salinity can vary on coral reef, there should not be a concern about the tiny increase of sodium chloride if you do water change at least once a month.

For example here:
View attachment 183347
But it will preserve the fish well

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back