Back in the tank :D

dakar652

dakar652
Coming back in for another go at this hobby. This will be my third time getting into reefing since 2008 when I moved above and beyond African Cichlids and set up a 20gal AllGlass with a 10gal sump and a CPR Hob overflow. That venture ended during the 2010 ice storm that knocked out my power in the middle of the night, killing everything in the tank.

Almost 4 years ago now I bought a JBJ 30 rimless cube and had that set up for a couple years with various hard corals and some zoa's. My military service took me away from home for a month at one point and my tank was a mess when I got back (never trust roommates to look after your tank). I tried nursing everything back to health but couldn't seem to get rid of the all the cyano algae and it just got progressively worse to the point I was forced to shut it all down before I caused my little creatures any harm. I sold off the pair of mai tai clowns and the peppermint shrimp along with the anemone and walked off into the sunset.

Fast forward...a couple weeks ago I got the urge to clean out that tank and get her going again for my home office...give me another distraction from work more like it! I took the tank out on one of those warm Sundays and washed it out with hose water and scraped all the coraline off the glass and had it almost ready. my last step was to take some vinegar on a scrubbie and get all the fine flakes off the black backing. Well, as luck and lack of common sense would have it, I guess I made the water a little too warm because about 5 minutes into scrubbing I heard the unmistakable SNAP of glass starting to crack...sure as anything, there she was...a nice big split up the right hand side...my heart sank.

long story long...I got the great idea to check to see how much a replacement would be...$429 from Marine Depot...womp womp...too rich for my blood...BUT THEN, it went on sale a week later to $299 with free shipping!!! i puckered up and bought it along with a recharge for my DI resin cartridges and with any luck, pretty soon i'll be back in business! now i know what you're saying...why would I buy the same tank twice? i just fell in love with the JBJ. I bought it used off a guy here on the forum (something Wolf if i remember correctly) and it just gave me so much entertainment and enjoyment, I really couldn't just let it go when my original broke.

here's to hoping i have better luck (and more sense) with this one! i DO have annual training coming up in June/July with the Marine Corps again, but am thinking my girlfriend might be able to handle a few simple tasks to keep a tank going while I'm gone for a few weeks...plus, I'm not thinking that I'll even have much going on in a tank within 6 months anyway.

first things first, I recharged my DI canisters and got my TDS back down to zero! topped off my stash of live rock that's been cycling for 2 years (probably almost 150lbs) with fresh RODI so when I finally get my tank set up this week I can just go to town after I choose which rocks I want to use!

I'm going to do it right this time...no hasty decision making and no getting in over my head. I have all the equipment I need and then some...and BRS has all the knowledge and the answers to get me back up and running when the inevitable questions arise! Wish me luck!

IMG_1183[1].JPG IMG_1184[1].JPG IMG_1185[1].JPG IMG_1186[1].JPG IMG_1187[1].JPG

Thanks Chris!

p.s. to the mods...i really like the new 'look' and 'feel' here at BRS! how's the traffic been? I remember a few years ago when I came back it was a little slow, but it seems like there may have been a slight resurgence as of late...no? as much as I miss the 'free' marketplace...these forums aren't free to run. count on me signing up for membership in the next week or so. thanks for all you do to keep this site going so I can keep coming back for more!

Welcome back!

Get that thing wet and cycled for the auction so you can stock up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, sir!

HAH! Two weeks away? i'm actually not sure there will be much of a cycle anyway since my rock has been submersed and water flowing for so long. i haven't had any light on it, but you can certainly tell from the pictures which rocks i initially had in the original tank.

for the record, i bought all the extra rock because i have a deep blue 80 shallow that I never set up yet but had the dream to...i'll let this pilot project decide if i'll ever make that happen.

Even longer! The auction is in March :). The deep blue 80 is a nice tank too! One for the Home Home for the office!

Thanks Dong! I see you're still feeding the frag frenzy here at BRS! I'll have to stop up soon.

i'm mulling around today and realizing i've never had a new tank before...anyone know the best way to clean a new tank without having to put it in the tub?!?!

I checked 10 pages from the archives and couldn't come up with anything much to my surprise.

assuming rinse with warm vinegar water and then with fresh RODI and then siphon out should be fine? i'm not even sure this is a necessary step, but just thinking there MAY be some factory residue that should be wiped away first?

Good to see you back! I think you bought the original jbj from me. I’m back also. Got a 50 cube going now.

I DID! What a DEAL you gave me!

Good to see you're getting to enjoy the hobby again too! When you had the JBJ set up when I first came over to look at it it was a sight to see!

BEAUTIFUL, sir! I'm very much considering using starboard for my 'new' setup. I have a few hurdles to overcome first.

I don't know if you remember the JBJ light that was part of the deal...it had some LED's that were burnt out. A few years back I sent it in to JBJ and they replaced the whole fixture with an updated model! I've been aching to use it, so I mock mounted it tonight to see if it will jive. Much to my dismay, the mount is in the way of the only spot my HOB skimmer will work! UGH! NANO Problems/AIO Problems.

About 5 years ago I swore I would NEVER get an AIO and would ALWAYS have a sump for my 'dirty business'...well, when I saw your ad 3+ years ago for that JBJ 30 I was SOLD! I had just bought my house and I NEEDED to reef! The rest is history.

Anyway, so I'm having some clearance issues with my Reef Octopus HOB, but I THINK I figured out a solution. I'm going to splice the intake and output tubes and PVC Glue them back together so they setup fits. Yeah, it'll basically be proprietary at that point, but at least I won't have to go back to the CPR HOB (which there was nothing wrong with, but the Reef Octopus is just SOOOO much cooler!!!)

Here's a few pictures of the mock up.

IMG_1191[1].JPG IMG_1192[1].JPG

I would just flush it with tap water and wipe it down

SOOOO busy lately it's insane.

BUT!!! I got the most important step done (never did it before and always regretted it halfway through a build) and did my first GFI outlet install!!!

It was actually WAY easier and trouble free than I could have every expected (I'm admittedly accident prone). I don't want to post instructions because liability and all that...plus I think there are FAR better sources than me out there for installing an outlet that will be protecting your fish and your home. That being said, here are a couple pictures.

I think I want to turn this into a build thread since I'm actually documenting here and there when I get time to work on something...any chance we can make that happen?

IMG_1252[1].JPG IMG_1253[1].JPG

and it even WORKS!!!

WOW!!! Please excuse me being impressed with myself being able to do this without burning the house down or getting shocked to death.

I guess the REAL proof will come when I turn the tank on at full capacity, but this is basically a dedicated circuit as it only controls the one outlet and the light in my (office) changing room...closet...soon to be fish room...whatever you want to call it. I call it my office, so I guess it's an office.

Next step, and I need some help/input on this one please. Any/all input/criticism will be taken into account.

I have a clearance issue or two (yay, AIO's) and need to know which adjustment/mod is preferable and why. Basically I have a habit of WAY overdoing things and bought (and used previously) a reef octopus HOB skimmer for my 30g JBJ...yes I know I'm ridiculous. Now that I've decided to use my JBJ light fixture with clamp on bracket style mount I'm noticing that both with not fit in the little center space in the back I have for equipment. My choices are as follows:

1. Modify Reef Octopus HOB so the skimmer 'pickup' tubing is closer to the back of the tank allowing clearance for the mechanical filtation 'baskets' by splicing the tubes and using coupling pieces (as pictured) to fuse back together.

2. Hang LED fixture from ceiling of unknown material and make home made brackets/cables for said solution...this would utilize the pre existing slots in the top of the JBJ Pacifica 108w that I can't seem to find a ready-made kit for online anywhere. Hanging the light would allow me to use the large center section of the back for my HOB skimmer.

3. Same at #2 except modify fixture to accept existing hanging bracket kit that came with my T5 24" light (not using currently because I REALLY want to see how LED looks instead.

4. Just say 'screw it' and use the 4xT5 fixture because it worked before and it'll work now...but it's big and bulky and likely more expensive to run.

Here are some pictures of what I'm looking at:

IMG_1277[1].JPGHOB Reef Octopus from side

IMG_1278[1].JPGHOB Reef Octopus from top with media basket next to it for comparison.

IMG_1280[1].JPGHOB Reef Octopus 'pickup tube clearance issue with 'Refugium' section (I can't wait until someday I have a solid enough living situation I don't need to deal with an AIO setup)

IMG_1279[1].JPG The light hangs a little crooked and too far back on the bracket anyway (IMHO)...what say you

IMG_1281[1].JPGTop of light fixture that shows 'slots' for mounting brackets that I can't seem to locate for purchase online anywhere

IMG_1283[1].JPGBEHOLD!!! The ceiling of unknown material!

IMG_1284[1].JPGThe HOB Reef Octopus with coupling that could be shortened and used to splice intake/output plumbing to fit behind media basket

IMG_1285[1].JPGBrackets I have off my old T5 fixture...it appears as though the light fixture could be modified fairly easily and would provide some level of adjustability with the sliding locknut that holds the cable in place...so I could compensate for the hanging cord and any uneven weight distribution within the fixture itself.

so...BRS...what say you?

Well...I guess since I'm the only one paying any attention to this thread I might as well keep going to keep a chronological record of my progress so only I can look back on it and be thoroughly impressed with myself :D

So I made an executive decision and decided to re use the old ceiling mount brackets off my T5 and modify my LED fixture casing to make it work.

I also fitted a piece of super expensive starboard (bought at a local marine dealership)...cut to fit with my table saw and a plywood blade, and cut and sanded to the precise contour of the front corners where the glass bends. I think it should be fairly obvious that I've decided to do a BB tank, but also want to protect the bottom glass from any live rock that might fall onto it. I certainly don't need 30g of salt water on the hardwood floor in my home office!

IMG_1285[1].JPG Brackets installed...almost like they were made for it!

IMG_1288[1].JPG Almost :/ slight modification to the cooling slots (non integral) with a dremel tool...bent the brackets in slightly to clip on tight!

IMG_1287[1].JPG Adjusted the cables to height (set at 3" above the (future) water line...but may adjust later.

IMG_1290[1].JPG Starboard brand marine board (cutting board)...only $35.00 for a 23x14 1/4" piece...what a steal! Yeah, I could have ordered it online, but I like shopping local when possible.

Next step is to wipe down the tank inside...rip the protective plastic layer off the Starboard and start coming up with some rockscaping ideas! I have over 100lbs...probably more than 150lbs of rock to choose from, so it's going to be a little tough to narrow it down to just a few pieces! That being said, I welcome the challenge!

Man, it actually feels good taking my time and doing things right for a change instead of rushing and then having to futz with everything after the fact when there's livestock involved.

I seen your question but had no input to help ya out with. These AIO are a pain with all the stuff we add to it.
Your definitely doing it right taking your time and planning all the details. It really is a pain to modify anything after water is in.

Made a little progress yesterday and took 1/2 water from existing 'curing' tank...as previously mentioned, the rock has been in there for a few years and then some, so I'm not really worried about it being unsafe or anything. I guess it doesn't really matter when there's no livestock anyway. Made the other 1/2 fresh RODI and Reef Crystals to mix (still have 2 giant boxes of salt from my last time in the game).

I grabbed some rocks that seemed appealing...i think at least two of them were in my previously set up JBJ anyway...place them in accordance with the Fibbonacci sequence spiral to acheive the highest amount of aesthetic appeal and VIOLA!

IMG_1295[1].JPG

Now to find an ethernet cable long enough to reach from my modem to my Apex :/ I think I need a 50' cable at least.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back