Basement flooring

jdeb101

Non-member
I’m in the process of refinishing my basement and researching flooring options. I’m currently leaning towards using this dimpled vapor barrier underlayment, and then laying vinyl or laminate plank flooring over it. My question is, how would this hold up with a heavy aquarium on top?

I have no immediate plans for building another aquarium down there, but who are we kidding, it’s bound to happen eventually !

I'd would build a platform of some sort under the aquarium stand that distributes the load across a large area rather than just having it all come down on the four corners.

I used something like this ( I cant find the actual model)
the nice thing on these is you can level them first when the tank is empty but then you cn adjsut with full load with a wrench to relevel once the tank is full

My basement is poured concrete and level. I used tiles under the tanks area and vinyl planks the rest
23BDF5E9-250F-4968-B837-044C564B5736.jpeg
44547388-26E2-49A5-A743-879F443BE923.jpeg

Finished floor
5F3974E7-50C2-4892-8210-36AEAEE69D12.jpeg

Thanks for the input guys. I probably should check out the underlayment specs to see how much load it says I suppose. I was initially leaning towards the dricore underlayment panels, but one area of concern I had was of water (ie an aquarium leaking) on the top soaked into the osb.

I used to have the floating hard wood and just from the basement dampness I would get water underneath. I replaced it with Ceramic Tile, now if my tank leaks or my skimmer overflows I just shop vac it up.

I finished my old house basement using tile right down on the concrete floor. Easy clean up and even if the tile crack, it’s easy enough to replace. Just make sure you buy a couple extra cases on the tiles you used in case they’re discontinued.

Thanks for the input guys. I probably should check out the underlayment specs to see how much load it says I suppose. I was initially leaning towards the dricore underlayment panels, but one area of concern I had was of water (ie an aquarium leaking) on the top soaked into the osb.
That stuff is junk, if you pardon my frankness. Solid flooring under tank, like the tile suggested, or wood/steel/aluminum stand directly on slab that is sealed with epoxy paint if you worry about moisture from slab penetrating your room. If you have those issues. If it is dry, I would not be concerned. Laminates like vinyl with an underlayment really can’t support the weight of even smaller aquariums without buckling over time.

I used to have the floating hard wood and just from the basement dampness I would get water underneath. I replaced it with Ceramic Tile, now if my tank leaks or my skimmer overflows I just shop vac it up.
My current plan is to use the underlayment floor and rigid foam for walls that will all create a vapor barrier to help with dampness/humidity.

I get that tile is superior in regards to strength and potential water damage, but my wife gave a firm no on that and I need to make her happy too. Lol

I extended my tile to put my tank on, after researching, I felt best going this route. Now issues after a year.
3EF460DB-1FAA-4217-9C4C-14878A3EE9E6.jpeg
Can you hide tile under the tank and plank up to it?

I extended my tile to put my tank on, after researching, I felt best going this route. Now issues after a year.
View attachment 158218
Can you hide tile under the tank and plank up to it?
I could... but the issue is I don’t have any immediate plans for tank so not sure on placement and size just yet. Beautiful looking tile btw.

I guess my alternative is to build an in-wall tank where my office is going that will sit on the unfinished side concrete. I guess I’ll give my wife the two options, in-wall in office (which takes up storage space) or tile. I’ll let you all know how that conversation goes.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back