Best way to reduce phosphates

MarvinsReef

Non-member
Just wondering what is the best way to reduce phosphates in the reef aquarium. I have always used GFO but it gets used up quickly and it can be pricey. If I buy the 5 micron filter socks and dose Blue Life phosphate Rx instead in small doses is this safer and more economical. My phosphates on the Hanna ULR read around 0.1 ppm. I just do not want to kill off fish or corals by using the Lanthum Chloride which I heard can happen. I am sure these cases may have been due to lowering the levels too fast which is not my plan.

I use phosphate rx and have been for some time.
I dose half or less of the recommendations and will test n dose as needed not as a one time dose. I also think people have issues with it because of trying to strip it all in one shot.

What is your nitrate level? If you have more than 5 ppm nitrate, you can dose vodka to reduce the phosphate along with nitrate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At 0.1 ppm, I wont worry about it.

I dose red sea nopox now and nitrate is at 20 ppm. I have been dosing for 6 months. What levels of phosphate should I start to worry about?

Nopox is the same as Vodka dosing. Nopox is a mixture of ethanol, (same chemical as Vodka), and vinegar.
You can up the dose a little as you have 20 ppm nitrate. Normally keep nitrate at 5ppm with detectable among of phosphate. You dont need to worry about phosphate if it is below 0.5 ppm.

The original study on phosphate on coral reef was done in 1975, the phosphate myth was debunked several years ago. Phosphate is an essential nutrient for coral growth.

The biggest contribution of phosphate in reef tanks is commercial frozen food. Commercial frozen food industry is unregulated. Before you pay up to $60 per lbs of frozen food in stores, please check if there is an expiration date.
To treat your fish right, I will say made your own by using human grade seafood in supermarkets.

To treat your fish right, I will say made your own by using human grade seafood in supermarkets.

Some supermarket seafood also contains phosphate in the form of sodium tripolyphosphate, or STPP. Do you specifically use seafood not treated with STPP or 'dry' seafood?

I am not really certain of the amount of residual STPP in wet seafood products and if phosphate levels would be of overall concern.

The actual concern about commercial frozen food is the quality, or lack of quality, of the material commonly used.

Yes all fish food contains phosphate, dry food as well. It is the basic ingredient of food. But phosphate in food that being eaten is quite different from rotten material that release into the water column.

You make a great point I feed my fish a mixture of 10 different frozen cubes of food that I that and feed over the course of 2-3 days. I am sure this is a huge contributing factor to phosphate. I have been exploring making my own food using fresh seafood products from the food store since it is really getting expensive. I think I will wip up a batch this weekend. Thanks for all the input Dong.

Nopox is the same as Vodka dosing. Nopox is a mixture of ethanol, (same chemical as Vodka), and vinegar.
You can up the dose a little as you have 20 ppm nitrate. Normally keep nitrate at 5ppm with detectable among of phosphate. You dont need to worry about phosphate if it is below 0.5 ppm.

What if you are getting algae growth?

What if you are getting algae growth?

That means the total phosphate and nitrate input every day are much higher.
A larger refugium will help. But I will also check for other sources of phosphate and nitrate.
The best way to deal with algae is to have a cleanup crew that eat it.

I agree with the clean-up crew suggestion. I dosed vodka in one of my tanks, and although it worked for hair algae, it created cotton candy algae which I thought was harder to get rid of.

Last edited:
Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back