Ann. BRS Yankee Swap (Reef Edition)

jamesdong009

Anthony

BRS Reefers Swap

Sea-coral-clipart-clipartfest.jpg

In the past, we've just drawn numbers but lets bring it back to Yankee Swap rules. My buddies and I have been going by these rules forever and it's always been fun.

Here are the rules:

The Game Itself

Once everyone has arrived at the party and placed their wrapped gift in a pile, it’s time to begin the game. Here’s how it goes:

1.The first person selects a gift from the pile and opens it.
That person, along with all subsequent players, should show off the gift so everyone else can see.

2. After the first person, each player can decide to either steal a previously opened present, or open a new one from the pile.
Alternatively, people may open a gift and then decide whether to swap it (however, this takes some of the “what’s behind Door Number 2?” mystery out of the proceedings). In most gift exchanges, there’s a mixture of useful, funny, delicious, and just plain useless gifts. It’s not unusual for highly coveted items to change hands over and over again.

3. Anyone who has their opened present taken gets to open a new one from the pile.
In some variations, the person may decide to take someone else’s present (and that person can take someone else’s, and so on). In this case, there should be a rule limiting how much swapping can go on. For example, you could limit it to three swaps per round, or agree that no one can have their gift stolen more than once in a round. Without some limits on trading, things can drag on – particularly if there are a lot of people playing.

4. When all the presents have been opened, the person who went first gets to swap their current gift for any other gift.
This only seems fair given that this person has been watching everyone else trade since the start of the game. However, this is optional and can be skipped, especially if you’re allowing multiple swaps per round.

Afterward
After the players have all taken their turns, they may want to continue swapping gifts voluntarily. People who wound up with gender-inappropriate gifts or other useless items always appreciate the opportunity to get something of value (after everyone’s had their laughs).

To give credit, I copied this list from Yankee Swap Gift Ideas

Come join us at the December Elections Meeting. All are welcome :)

Last edited:
Some nice corals and equipment! Like the Nemo ornament above Anthony’s head!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back