Clam help

montec24

Non-member
I have a Crocea Clam that I have had for Two years. Recently it has not been opening up as much. there are spots on the edge of the mantle that looks like something took a small bite out of it. I can't find any sign of any pyramid snails or any other parasite. Added nothing new and none of the fish seem to go near the clam. Can I or should I do a lugols dip? Anything else to do?

Thanks

I'd not worry about a dip until you figure out the cause of the irritation.

Check the scutes for snails, sponge, aptasia, or anything else that would irritate the mantle. If you did have pyramelid snails, they'd be near the byssus port and not near the mantle.

Also watch any fish or shrimp that may be near the clam often. Some lysmata shrimp are known to nip mantles and byssal threads. Some fish (i.e. tangs) will do the same. Sometimes they are in it for the "meat". Other times, they inadvertantly nip a mantle while attempting to get at alga growth on the shell.

If you have the opportunity, use a new and soft toothbrush on the shell from time to time to keep the sponge and algae growth in check.

Dave

Are there any corals close enough to touch the mantle when the mantle and corals are fully extended? I once found what looked like a bite and a burn hole in my Derasa's mantle. Come to find out, it was from a torch coral that was too close. The good news is it all cleared up and healed.

I am starting to think it may be from a Frogspawn, They are not right next to each other but the frogspawn has gotten quite large and has some pretty long sweepers sometimes. Gonna find a new spot for the Clam today.

Thanks

smcnally said:
Are there any corals close enough to touch the mantle when the mantle and corals are fully extended? I once found what looked like a bite and a burn hole in my Derasa's mantle. Come to find out, it was from a torch coral that was too close. The good news is it all cleared up and healed.

Back