Clam

Matt Kiely

BRS Member
Hey can someone that has owned clams give me a little input on keeping them? Dosing feeding lighting any info would b greatly appreciated thinking about possibly pulling the trigger on one thanks all

When I got mine from European Aquatics I went with the dersa clams. Main reason they are cheaper for larger clams. I read clams less than 3” need to be spot fed with phyto. While larger they can survive off filter feeding and photosynthesis.

Maxima clams that size are a couple hundred.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clams that are over 1.5 inch does not require feeding. They are very good at photosynthesis and can benefit from intense lighting. Most led lights including AI hydra, Radion, Reefbreeders can keep clam easily. They don’t like very high water flow.
For maxima, it is better to put them on a rock cradle so that it can attach itself. For squamosa and deresa, they are free standing and can be put on sand bed.
Feeding clams is not always the best idea as it is questionable if they actually benefit from phyto other than have phyto stuck on their gills.
I have ORA aquacultured deressa, maxima and squamossa clam instock and they are healthy and do not require feeding.

Also I will avoid large Maxima that are over 4 to 5 inch as they do not adjust well to new environment.

Also I will avoid large Maxima that are over 4 to 5 inch as they do not adjust well to new environment.

Hey Dong,

Do you have any statistics / studies to back that up?

Reason I ask is because I have never had a single casualty on maximas regardless of size unless they came in half dead (brown water / out of water but open / etc).

Just curious, that's all ...

Def agree with Dong regarding clams bigger than 1.5" do not require special feeding, and if feeding incorrect food or feeding incorrectly can actually harm them.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Hi Archie
That was from a statistic collection over years from mostly local hobbyists.

Many large maxima, from certain oversea clam farms, have low survival rate. Those were mostly purchased from major trade shows as well as online.

Domestic suppliers such as ORA carries mostly small clams, which consistent with their aquaculture origin.

That does not include large maxima that are grown by hobbyists.

Hi Archie
That was from a statistic collection over years from mostly local hobbyists.

Many large maxima, from certain oversea clam farms, have low survival rate. Those were mostly purchased from major trade shows as well as online.

Domestic suppliers such as ORA carries mostly small clams, which consistent with their aquaculture origin.

That does not include large maxima that are grown by hobbyists.

Thanks Dong,

I wonder if it has something to do with the areas where they were collected from and how they were shipped / acclimated .. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that maxima clams from a certain region do not do well in captivity. Can't remember the name for the life of me ..

Either way, in-case anyone is looking, coco islands cultured maximas have been coming in at around 2" lately, are gorgeous, and not too expensive! Def ask your favorite vendor if they can bring some in for you! :)

- Archit

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yes it definitely has something to do with the source.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back