Clowns mating "rules"?

Skeeter7424

More corals than gallons
So I have a mated pair of Black O. Clowns. The female doesn't look great, as ICH has slowly degraded her health, which kills me to watch (and I am dealing with on the side, not what this thread is about.) What I wanted to know is if she does pass on me, will the male accept another mate? And what will the sex roles be? I have read a couple places that the male will accept another mate, and will switch to female, but I can't find a real reliable source on this. I hate to write this is preparation for a death, but I like to be educated before something happens. Thanks for any info on this guys

...Skeeter...

I had a similar situation some years ago. The female jumped and died on the carpet. I bought another Clownfish and they fought at first. They fought pretty good too for a day or so. I thought one of them would die.

But after a couple of days they started hanging out and eventually they started mating. A bunch of years later I still have the pair and they lay eggs every few weeks or so.

Time and patience will be the key here (just like everything else in this hobby). Hang in there and so sorry about your Clownfish not feeling well. The ICH may pass.

It also helps if one clown is much larger than the other, this way the dominance gets worked out a lot faster.

Ok, well I will keep that in mind. I am still pulling for my female to make it, but it wasn't looking good this morning. Interestingly enough, the male has never looked better. Odd stuff. Anyways, thanks for the advise

....Skeeter...

Good advice make sure the other one is quite a bit larger. I had to do this when my female beat her male up so bad he stopped eating and was always hiding.I was nervous but I bought a much smaller one to be the male and he fell in love. they are alway together and she does not beat on him like he did the other one.

I forgot you may want to wait your whole tank is infected with whatever your female ha. Adding any tress like a new addition could cause the other fish to stress out and get sick.

Yeah we are not planning on adding anything until we have what ever is going on in the tank, with momma taken care of. It was more just knowing what the next step would be if something bad was going to happen, like loosing here. She is still hanging on, hoping that what ever it is will run its course.

How the fish lookin? Skeeter, I'm in Brighton too, so if there's anything I can do to help, just let me know.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back