DIY Algae Reactor

maldenreefer

Non-member
Parts:
- Aquatop MR-30 Reactor
- Accel Aquatics Warm-White High Output Water Resistant LED Strip Light with Transformer - 6 foot
- Zipties
- Extension cord from dollar store
- Starter macroalgae from Dong :D

My Somatic 60 sump lacks a true refugium area so I built a DIY external reactor that has been working great. I chose that reactor model because of it's large size and that particular led strip since it was made to be more water resistant than those that I found on Amazon. I pondered the Pax Bellum models for a moment but they're ridiculously expensive.

Essentially all you need to do is wrap the strip around the reactor and secure it with zip ties or some other form of fastening. I placed the input pump in my overflow chamber and then return line into the second skimmer chamber. The pump runs 24/7 and the led lights are on a opposite schedule of my display light. In one week, the chaeto has doubled in size so the setup seems to be working. I am considering plumbing a second reactor to this pump in order to grow just dragon's breath for my tank inhabitants but I hear the growth rate on that macroalgae to be not so great so not sure if that's worthwhile. Anyone have experience growing dragon's breath by itself?

If anyone has any questions about the build or would like help, send me a message.

Thanks.

3e8ba879ba837622937710ee11b487f8.jpg
6dc13a0dc79e08e2a31c1f1dfa673b1c.jpg

Are you testing nutrients to see how well it works for your tank? Or more so just using it to replace the other benefits of a refugium?

Running experiments to see the actual benefit would be cool but I honestly haven't been diligent in testing parameters. My goal was simply to add another nutrient export method to my setup that I would measure in handfuls instead of ppm.

Are there any drawbacks to running a refugium? My research didn't turn up any. My only concerns were random leaks or overheating but the lights are only warm, not hot.

Looks nice and clean. Def a good solution if you are trying to grow some macro in a small space..

Well job!

Great setup. Just picked up the same reactor and some lights! Time to find some Cheeto and get it wet.image.jpg

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back