Generator power for 60 hours

Stop buying sh** product! :p
Get a Honda and your tank will be running at 80 and be in your shorts with your pellet stove running properly.
It is not due to sh** product, it is due to the wrong type of generator for the job.

No, a generator without an inverter will feed dirty power to the entire network.
Some electronic are more sensitive to dirty power, some are less. Also dirty power can cause damage to some electronics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It also depends on the load on the generator. If a generator has higher capacity, the power can be cleaner as it is more stable.

I use a cheap 1400w continuous generator to run my return pump and three heaters. When the heaters and the return pump are plugged in this thing is close to max. 800w of heaters and 350w return pump so almost 1200w while running.

I picked this up at Walmart hoping I would never have to use but my dreams have been shattered.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sportsman-Gasoline-2000W-Portable-Generator/46542330#read-more

The return pump sounds different and the heaters lights glow less than the normal bright orange. My return is a barracuda hybrid gold and pretty expensive.

Am I being a total idiot here? Do I need to invest in a better generator right away?

Everything does work but seems to work less efficiently. Do you guys think that I am causing damage to this equipment?

It is not due to sh** product, it is due to the wrong type of generator for the job.

You can call whatever you want, but it's a sh** product when you plug in a 600W appliance and you only get maybe 400W out of it. o_O.
I say it again and again. How much have you put in the tank? A used EU2000 runs around $600-$700.
I would never plug my laptop or any meaningful electronic in anything other than an inverter. That includes the tank controller!

I agree with you regarding an inverter.
Some quality generators actually are generator-inverter despite they are labeled generators.
So some research is needed to find out what you bought exactly.

Some research is definitely needed. I just can't stand it when people spent a stupid amount of money(or all of what they have) on someone's special named corals and then spent as little as possible to keep it alive when it's an emergency. It's a sh** show really.
Same reason for people who spent on an AMG and complain about replacing the ceramic brakes or high octane fuel.
Your tank is as good as your support system.

Darn! I don’t have an AMG. Honda is cheap to maintain.

Some research is definitely needed. I just can't stand it when people spent a stupid amount of money(or all of what they have) on someone's special named corals and then spent as little as possible to keep it alive when it's an emergency. It's a sh** show really.
Same reason for people who spent on an AMG and complain about replacing the ceramic brakes or high octane fuel.
Your tank is as good as your support system.
Well you know the saying...you gotta pay to play...

Wife and I are looking into a generator that kicks in when we loose power..aka we don't need to come home and plug it in

I don't know.. I feel like it just takes a certain kind of man to March out into the elements, fire up a generator and save the feeeesh!!!! Johhny walker on my March I will persevere! This generator will start and these fresh shall swim. The real question is save the reef or the discus ?!?!? Other wise.. I wish I could afford something more hands off haha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I don't know.. I feel like it just takes a certain kind of man to March out into the elements, fire up a generator and save the feeeesh!!!! Johhny walker on my March I will persevere! This generator will start and these fresh shall swim. The real question is save the reef or the discus ?!?!? Other wise.. I wish I could afford something more hands off haha

Buy two generators, one for reef, one for discus.
Actually buy three, you may have ice cube for Johnny Walkers.

Hah.. if I wanted an ice cube for my Johnny id chisele it from the massive ice damns forming on my gutter! I have emergency protocol wiring. Reef has a heater and pp4, discus have heater and bio sponge. The other tanks may chill out but we know what's important!
811816c15b76aba866937a2b836fc6d5.jpg

No Johnny Walkers for discus?

Got power at ~11PM.... hurray. MPSTEVE for these 3 days I had a 5500 W ~8600W peak. It kept my pellet stove, well pump, lights in master bedroom, kitchen and living room, 2 refrigerators with freezer, plus from the kitchen I took an extension where I plugged my reef tank plus fuge and another Discus tank. And to the house lines there where plugged 2 Angel fish tanks (65G , 40G, 75G, 45G and 30G) and a 35 G brute with my new Marine water for my weekly WC all heated to 78 and the discus I reduced it from 85 to 81.

When all the lights where ON and all tanks fully working the system was in the limit. 4-5 times during the day, if someone used the toilet and the well pump started, tripped the generator, but sometime it didn't. Meaning it was really in the limit of their capacity. BUT did the job. No complains at all.

I am writing all this info to give an idea if someone wants to buy a generator.

Nevertheless, I think I will invest in one as mentioned 8000W 10000 W peak dual fuel to have that extra power and avoid,any tripping. And the dual fuel to use propane (BQ Tanks) and gas. That will give a little more of flexibility. They are ~$800 -$1000. Not cheap, but neither too expensive for this hobby.

https://www.championpowerequipment.com/product/100165-7500-watt-dual-fuel-generator/

Cheers

Ps: I forgot to say the brand : Briggs & Stratton

Guys.... no one have read my posting I am quoting.

I've lost electricity twice this year, Both times were for 3 full days. I have no generator... I used two of the battery driven air pumps from walmart and filled a 2 liter bottle with hot water every few hours and floated it in my tank... I did not lose a single coral or fish...I was very surprised.

Although my tank is only 34 gallons though, I'm sure that made a difference. If I ever decide to go big, I'm thinking a generator would be a must.

Well I bought a generac 22kw with ats. It arrives March 30th and it will be hooked up when I get back from Mexico

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back