Glass cages

gzr918

Non-member
Does anyone have a glass cages tank or any experience with one? I'm looking at ordering a 90g cube and affordability wise the options are limited. I was looking at the marineland 93g but people have been reporting tons of issues with seam failures. Obviously the more I pay the less I have to worry about construction but that's not an option for me right now

I have bought one marine land tank in my life and it leaked when I filled it. It was a 30 gal and they didn't run silicone all the way up to rim. It was easily fixed and has been filled for 4 year, no issue. I wouldn't trust the same employee to build me a 93 gallon rimless tank. No way, no how. Wouldn't even take it for free. If they let that kind of workmanship leave the shipping bay?? Peace out marineland. I've never heard a bad thing about glass cages, not saying they're perfect.. just never heard otherwise. Dong may still have a 93 gallon cube for sale?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Part of me feels like a lot of the bad mouthing on marineland or deep blue is often grossly over exaggerated or straight up BS.

I know one guy, a BRS member had a new marineland leak on him 2 years ago, they replaced it for free, admittedly it was a hassle if I remember right. Same complaints I've heard about glass cages, except I've also heard they have had glass cutting issues.

Have you considered Mr aqua or equivalent at all? Personally I think you'd be fine with the marineland. Just inspect it before paying if possible.

Mind you rimless has a different silicone, RTV is much stronger then the usual stuff, so rimless with have RTV.

Last edited:
I was told by my lfs that glass cages warranty isn't long all that made me ultimately not use them I was considering them for 300 gallon tank

I'm less worried about the warranty coverage than I am about the tank exploding all over my apartment lol. Are there any decent manufacturers a step above in quality?

Part of me feels like a lot of the bad mouthing on marineland or deep blue is often grossly over exaggerated or straight up BS.

Maybe. But I purchased THREE of the same exact tanks that you have... Deep Blue 60g cubes. Every single one of them had to be returned because of issues with the seams. Even if the probability of failure is say 0.5% (hypothetically), the cost of that failure is quite high relative to the cost of the failed product, e.g. flooded house, lost livestock, potential for fire, etc. Damages from a tank failure could be several thousand dollars on the low-end, and non-quantifiable on the high end. Granted, I have not personally heard of a failed tank causing death.

Three sequential orders of the same product all with the same problem did not give me much confidence in the brand.

This is why acceptable failure rates in critical automobile parts in measure in parts per billion, rather than parts per thousand like in consumer electronics. A broken phone is an irritation. A failed computer in a car could lead to death. The tank failure is somewhere in the middle haha.

Excellent point Andy. Tank failures are similar to a couple things I can convey through text (having experienced 2 first hand in a rented apt.). Couple things being..
-witnessing your first crush make out with your friend at your own party.
- having your dog select your former significant other in doggy divorce court (even with bacon stuffed in your shoe)
-getting almost blasted in the nuts with a dodge ball ( pre 2005 dodge ball, when they used recycled tires, not recycled bicycle seats). 25% contact sent you to the nurse. Don't lie...
I suppose a failure of a 93 gallon reef, fully matured would be the equivalent of a truck full of recycled tires hitting you in the nuts??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I had a 240 from glasscage. The seam work is 6/10. That thing was built like a tank. It's the show tank at that fish store in stoughton if you want to check it out.

Mind you rimless has a different silicone, RTV is much stronger then the usual stuff, so rimless with have RTV

All tanks use rvt (room temperature vulcanization) silicone in production, even those with a rim. The difference between silicone is whether it is a sealant or adhesive silicone. I would hope ALL tanks in production are using adhesive silicone (rvt 100 to rvt 108 from Momentive, there are other brands but most are momentive rebranded) I know aqueon does.

Think I'm actually gunna go way smaller now. Innovative marine is now selling their nuvo tanks without the filtration thing in the back, and the 40 g rimless is a nice price, even cheaper than glass cages for a good quality build.

Back