Help with picking my next fish

mvofficer1

Non-member
I am looking into one more fish for my 40 gallon reef tank. I know that a 40 gallon makes this choice a whole lot harder. This is what I have right now:

bangaii cardinal
2 clowns
diamond goby
firefish
tailspot blenny
yellow watchman
yellowtail damsel

I would love something like an angel, butterfly, foxface, or tang (I know none of these are an option) Any ideas? Thanks for any help in advance.

Marc

Would love a bristletooth tang! You really think I could get away with getting one Chris? Any idea if it makes a lot of waste?

Herbivore waste I think is beneficial to corals. As long as you have open swimming room. It’ll eat algae from the rock and from the glass. If you think it’s not eating enough just give it some nori twice a week ( gotta keep it kinda hungry so it can eat the natural algae)

I know most people cringe at the idea of a tang in a small ( under 6 foot tank ) but have you ever seen any tang go full speed inside any tank?

I read a while back it needs a large tank to avoid ick. Not sure if this is true. Also I don't have a quarantine tank. Would hate to mess anything up, but ohh the thought of having a tang.......

I have a beautiful female Leopard wrasse $55

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A flame angelfish would do well in that tank.
Here’s my pair
06B0E3E8-6026-494C-82FE-403410ABB0C9.jpeg

Just watch the flames with coral. Mine took over a year but I eventually put a coral in there he started to pick at. Never went after any other coral but this one colony.

Would love a flame but that is what I am scared of. I know it is a 50/50 chance, but I took that chance with a puffer last year. I lost....

I'm a huge fan of the Orchid Dottyback (https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1500+5141+3465&pcatid=3465) tank bred and they have amazing coloring and reef safe... I've been looking to add one but can't find any locally...

I've had them with a firefish with no issues as well...
tropic isle had some and other of the hybrid dottybacks as well, I think they would make a great addition to a tank as long as they remain peaceful, I had a neon that was a real jerk to every new fish I added for 3-4 days but these captive bred sound much calmer

I've had a neon and an orchid the neon was always way more of a jerk to the other fish IME...

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back