High School Classroom Nano Reef

Update: 12/17/18

First ever attempt at "aquascaping" (honest feedback would be appreciated, waiting to add the sand based on what everyone thinks)

IMG_8264.JPG
IMG_1396.JPG

The rocks look good but it’d be better in a wider tank. With the rock so close to the glass it’s gonna be a pain to clean the algae. Another thing to keep in mind is that coral will grow and if you already know what corals you want, that could help you imagine the tank in it’s final stage.

Personally I’d put a nice solid rock right in the middle. Eventually, you won’t see the rock as the coral will cover everything.

Goodluck [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You want a Little Rock as possible to touch the bottom. It will slow your flow. I like to put two or 3 small pieces of rock o. The bottom and a large piece up top in order to build a cave of sorts and have improve flow. With nothing stopping the undertow. Plus everything will gather for you I. A spot and be easier to clean.

The rocks look good but it’d be better in a wider tank. With the rock so close to the glass it’s gonna be a pain to clean the algae. Another thing to keep in mind is that coral will grow and if you already know what corals you want, that could help you imagine the tank in it’s final stage.

Personally I’d put a nice solid rock right in the middle. Eventually, you won’t see the rock as the coral will cover everything.

Goodluck [emoji106]

I don’t really have a single big rock, a couple of medium and small pieces.

That works too. Just put them together in the center and let your corals branch off from there.

2 looks good

2 fell and was kind of small, I know hard to tell
In the pics. 3 used a lot more the rock and I think it looks “fuller” if that makes sense. I did kinda like the “cave” though.

I liked 2 the best too.

As Aros said. Make sure your magfloat or what ever cleaning device you use can go around the rock without bumping it.

So I added my sand today but now my BioCube hood won't turn on, kind of panicking. I reached out to Coralife. Ugh.

Update: Huge shout out to Central Aquatics (Coralife), fixed my issue in minutes. More to come on them, but I am so impressed by this company!!!

Last edited:
HUGE shout out to @Elmafioso52988 for purchasing a brand new Red Sea test kit for the project. He has also offered to donate livestock when we are ready. You are awesome, thank you!!

Thanks again to everyone that has helped already or has offered to help in the future, this would not be possible without your contributions. My students and I thank you. I am personally overwhelmed by the generosity this community has displayed. As a educator, funding can often get in the way of a lot of the opportunities we want to give our students and to see this community rally around this project is really amazing to see these days. Thank you so much!!!

Last edited:
I suggested using Waterweld or RTV108 (tank silicone) to keep the rock arrangement in a separate conversation. I'm posting it here to let members weigh in.

You want a Little Rock as possible to touch the bottom. It will slow your flow. I like to put two or 3 small pieces of rock o. The bottom and a large piece up top in order to build a cave of sorts and have improve flow. With nothing stopping the undertow. Plus everything will gather for you I. A spot and be easier to clean.
What he said!

I made a cave of sorts but I had bigger rocks on the bottom, when the sand settles I'll take a pic and get your thoughts. If I need to redo then I will. I would like to cement the live rock together if possible, I'm afraid I (or a student) will knock them over by mistake.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back