High School Classroom Nano Reef

API doesn't really have a good low range...but it does work. It's "zero" could still have traces imho....that being said, this is what I use for gross testing

Ammonia: IMG_5737.JPG
Nitrite:IMG_6394.JPG
Nitrate:IMG_9525.JPG

I asked about an ammonia source to start, but the LFS said the rock would breakdown producing ammonia. I can definitely try the shrimp.

I asked about an ammonia source to start, but the LFS said the rock would breakdown producing ammonia. I can definitely try the shrimp.

you want to make sure there is enough bacteria to break down ammonia. put the shrimp in and test for ammonia level. get it up to 1-2 ppm then remove the shrimp. wait 24 hours after and test ammonia and nitrite again. if both 0 you are good to go. if not test every 1-2 days. eventually after cycle completes and ammonia and nitrite is 0 you should have some nitrate when you test. this way you can be sure it is cycled and will not have to worry when you add your fish. you may have a diatom bloom also if it has to cycle at the end which is like a brown dusty looking stuff on the rock and sand. sorry for suggesting so much but I was not sure how experienced you are [emoji106] good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

you want to make sure there is enough bacteria to break down ammonia. put the shrimp in and test for ammonia level. get it up to 1-2 ppm then remove the shrimp. wait 24 hours after and test ammonia and nitrite again. if both 0 you are good to go. if not test every 1-2 days. eventually after cycle completes and ammonia and nitrite is 0 you should have some nitrate when you test. this way you can be sure it is cycled and will not have to worry when you add your fish. you may have a diatom bloom also if it has to cycle at the end which is like a brown dusty looking stuff on the rock and sand. sorry for suggesting so much but I was not sure how experienced you are [emoji106] good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thank you for the detailed explanation, the more the better. I have a little experience with freshwater but this is my first reef setup so I appreciate all the advice I can get!

Hi Zach. My wife teaches Marine Biology in Fall River, Ma. It looks like you are not far away. I am in Fairhaven, Ma. My barber donated his 90 gallon Reef Ready two years ago and we maintain local animals in a couple 55 gallon systems that we are in the process of connecting in tandem now. I just broke apart a huge green tree leather over the holiday when we were doing some maintenance on that system. If you want really nice size cuttings let me know. Maybe we could get a sharing relationship going to lower costs on both projects. Maybe swapping coral specimens so we increase diversity. Her tank has yellow polyps, palythoa, mushrooms, tree leathers, cabbage leather, bubble tip anemones that love to create new ones! Lots of biodiversity with lots of feather duster worms, could probably give you a colony of those too. Currently we have two healing anemones from a split. We would be more than willing to part with one when they appear ready. The ocellaris clown might bite my hand 30 more times when we go in for anything though! Great job so far!

Hi Zach. My wife teaches Marine Biology in Fall River, Ma. It looks like you are not far away. I am in Fairhaven, Ma. My barber donated his 90 gallon Reef Ready two years ago and we maintain local animals in a couple 55 gallon systems that we are in the process of connecting in tandem now. I just broke apart a huge green tree leather over the holiday when we were doing some maintenance on that system. If you want really nice size cuttings let me know. Maybe we could get a sharing relationship going to lower costs on both projects. Maybe swapping coral specimens so we increase diversity. Her tank has yellow polyps, palythoa, mushrooms, tree leathers, cabbage leather, bubble tip anemones that love to create new ones! Lots of biodiversity with lots of feather duster worms, could probably give you a colony of those too. Currently we have two healing anemones from a split. We would be more than willing to part with one when they appear ready. The ocellaris clown might bite my hand 30 more times when we go in for anything though! Great job so far!

I am VERY interested in setting something up, I think would be awesome. As you can see I am a ways away from being in a position to be doing that but I love your idea. I am not sure if my lighting would be adequate to keep the anemone, maybe someone with more expierence can advise. If so I’m sure having the anemone host a clown or two would be amazing and I big hit with the students. I look forward to working with you guys hopefully!

The anemones are under LED that are not too fancy and in a deeper tank, with cover glass, so I think you could do it no problem. I have transplanted two splits successfully so far. Let me know when you want to do some swaps. The tank is pretty pest free thankfully!!!

I have used this in the past. Works great to hold rocks together if you have "tanky" turbo's. As a bonus you cannot move your rocks around after. It does cloud up the tank a bit. Normally you do this before/during cycle.

Can this care underwater? My cycle is underway so I don't want to kill my bacteria by having the rock out of water for too long. Thanks!

Can this care underwater? My cycle is underway so I don't want to kill my bacteria by having the rock out of water for too long. Thanks!
It was many years ago, but I used it to attach the cement coral frag plugs ( with coral) to rock work in the tank.. You really have to mix it well, and it does fill the skimmer, but it works underwater and coraline algae will grow on it. . It is designed to put around leaking water pipes.

I have 2 reef keeper lites that i bought as a package deal, they are used but i have never used them. If you would like them pm me a mailing address and i will send them. I can incluse one power bar. Sorry no instructions but i am sure you can find them. Keep them or sell them to fund your school project.

BIG UPDATE (had to take a break for midterms)

First and foremost I have many thank yous!

Companies:

Reefbreeders - Coral Box Moon LED Plus & RN-1Wavemaker
AquaFX - New RO/DI system
Central Aquatics (Kent, Coralife) - Salt, Biocube accessories, supplements
CaribSea - Live Sand and Rock
Octo Aquatics - Mini Frag Rack and RO/DI Auto Shut Off

Individuals
Reefkeeper Lite - @Technorch & @bill120mph
Tunze Osmolator Nano - @1spotpooalot
Testing supplies, carbon, GFO - Lawrence from the Reef Conservation Society

Pics

The Light

IMG_2603.JPG
IMG_0965.JPG

The Tech

IMG_1946.JPG
IMG_8763.JPG

Supplies
IMG_3917.JPG

Progress Update

The tank is cycled and ready for our first livestock. I am in the process of locking down a date for the class to visit Ocean State Aquatics. Playing with getting a pair of clowns and then holding off on corals until we go to OSA but not positive. Gonna see if I can first any online or local sellers that would consider donating to the project. If not, Scott from OSA offered to give me a great deal on a pair, he has been a huge help throughout the whole project so shout out to them as well!

If anyone is still interested in donating any kind of livestock Fish, coral, CUC, ect.) let me know. I will do my best to follow up with those that offered originally to see if they are still interested but feel free to let me know too.

Thanks to everyone who has followed and supported this build!

Last edited:
Just installed the Aquatic Life 115 that @Chris A. not only donated but shipped to me. Thanks so much! Please let me know how I did mounting it at the right height. The bubbles barely reach the opening.

IMG_0273 2.JPG
IMG_6039.JPG

I keep mine as high as I can or it overflows real easily. Without proteins in the water it won’t do much.

So I am thinking of adding a pair of adult clowns next week. A forum member has offer to donate the pair. The tank temps and salinity have been good. I need suggestions for my second chamber though.

Current Setup:

Chamber 1: skimmer, heater
Chamber 2: empty stock media basket
Chamber 3: pH and temp probe (I want to move this, in case the ato fail and water level drops), UV sterilizer, return pump.

I have a big tub of activated carbon and GFO and bags to put them in. Can anyone recommend show much of each to use?

Back