Hollywood Stunner Chalice going pale

gobyvin

Non-member
Hi All,
I have a 31 gallon cube (20X20X18) that has a 20K 70 watt DE Halide and two 24" HO t5 supplements (10K and Geismann Aquablue Special). I added a Hollywood Stunner Chalice a month ago. It is growing like mad, but is turning pale. Is it too far from the light in the bottom corner of this tank? It is 14" from surface and the metal halide is closest, at 3" from water's surface. It is near the side glass, therefore not directly under the bulb.
The center was darker where the old growth was to begin with and the edges are pale, but now the edges seem more pale.

Potassium? I have not checked that. I have Hanna checkers for phosphate, alk, CA and pH. I use API for Nitrate. I have not checked that... I have a clam and Montis, leptastrea, gorgonians, LPS, palys, BTA... snails... all seem wicked active and healthy. Would they not all be showing change too like the chalice if they all were suffering from Potassium deficiency?

Can you post a photo ?
What is the temperature of the tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

have you calibrated your refractometer recently? I had some weird stuff happen when my salinity was at 1.030+ due to not calibrating often enough

Temp is 77.5-79.
AF73E8B8-09F4-4FE8-B3E5-8246E95D8BEA.jpeg

Salinity is 32, little low, but using local seawater, Ca 385, alk 7.5-8.0, Ca and all rising steadily with stronger Kalk additions, pH is stable and goes as high as 8.4 at noon. Photoperiod matches local sunrise and sunset times.

The little white edge is usually a sine of new growth. Unless it starts to recede back a lot.

Yeah, I did not have another pic, will take one Monday. Tank is at work. The lighter color is receding back from original growth starting point now.

But like I said it is growing fast. I will update Monday. Thanks so much for the help here!!!

Here is the updated picture of my problem chalice, still growing fast, just paling out from edge to center as well.

I see your stunner is at the bottom of the tank move it up higher. My stunner is 3/4 way up in the tank is the size of a watermelon. I use ocean revive leds for lighting. Otherwise yours does not look terrible

I feel you on this, all acros are thriving and coloring up, but I just put a Hollywood stunner chalice in my system two weeks ago and it completely paled out like yours. Tried sand bed first week and noticed paleing out so I’ve moved it up since but no difference.

Every time I have LPS getting pale, it's typically the result of:

- Too little N and/or P
- But most often, too much light.

My chalices are in PAR under 50 for 12 hours/day, which is pretty low. If I move them to where it reads 100 (still pretty low), they get pale within a day. Moving them back to 50 colors them back up.

Of course, it's entirely possible that your situation could be different.

Interesting AndyV. I bet it is too much light. I appreciate the no stress comment Dong!!! I will chill and try moving it into a little more shade. The water is pretty low N, but P is not limiting. I am actually trying to lower it some, and am getting there. It was .374 ppm or 120 ppb via Hanna Checker, and that was down from 170 ppb or .53 or so two weeks ago. All righted with water changes. It is my cheapest option as clean water is free. The seawater I get is 13ppb!!! Phosphate.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back