FS home made amino acids supplement

dz6t

Acro Garden, BRS Sponsor
BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
Dosing amino acids are scientifically proven method to enhance coral growth, some say improvement of color which I am not sure about. After using commercially available amino acids additives, the high cost is always an issue because the large amount of coral I need to feed.

Several home made recipes online just not cutting it (not dissolve well or having unwanted ingredients) and commercially pre blended amino acids powder just do not have the right kind and or proportion that suitable for coral.

So I went the retro way, blending my own using pure free form amino acids. Then the formulation part is kind of tricky but I cracked it. After testing my own amino acid blend, I am happy with it as well as my coral love it.

Here comes the commercial:
1. I will sell 500 mL bottle of this amino acid blend for only $10
Or 100 mL for $5 if you have a nano tank.
This 500 mL bottle is comparable to the amount of amino that cost up to $80 commercial preparation.

2. Dosage is 1 mL per 20 gallon of water volume as a general guidance, (this dosage is higher than comparable products on the market) once a day (pour into a high flow area) is recommended. Missing a few doses is no big deal.

3. This thing is potent so do not overdose.

4. Since there is no preservatives nor stabilizers in this solution, please refrigerate it. Every ingredients in the bottle are reef safe and they are all being used in reef tanks. But I am not going to tell you what they are so please don’t ask. All I can tell you is that I am using it on my own coral farm, on all my coral and it works on my coral.

5. Amino acids is not a magic potion and it will not do miracles. It is simply a proven enhancement.

6. It won’t crash your tank nor kill your fish or coral when dose correctly. if that happens, blame something else.

7. If you need more than 500 mL, please let me know ahead of time.

8. Sorry I will not ship this product, as it needs to be shipped in a cooler with ice pack and not worth the hassle. Local pickup only in Concord MA 01742.

Thank you very much and Happy Reefing
Dong

Last edited:
Just some additional information:
1. Amino acid is a nitrogen source for coral and its symbiont algae.

2. There is no phosphate in the bottle.

3. All amino acids preparations on the market are similar, I do not claim my amino acids blend is better, just simple goodies without preservatives because I don’t mean to let it sit at room temp on a shelf in a store or a warehouse for a long period of time.

Nice Dong, I'd like to come by tomorrow noon'ish. For the nano size and maybe some corals.

Could you explain how you determined that the performance of your product is comparable to the other (established) commercial formulations? I have no doubt that commercial amino blends work, but as you point out, some of the open-source recipes are lacking.

I wouldn't ask how it was validated if it were a home made apple pie that I could see and taste for myself...but since it's being compared to established preparations, it would be great to know how the comparison was made.

Curious about trying some. How long have you been using it in your systems?

Thanks!

Could you explain how you determined that the performance of your product is comparable to the other (established) commercial formulations? I have no doubt that commercial amino blends work, but as you point out, some of the open-source recipes are lacking.

I wouldn't ask how it was validated if it were a home made apple pie that I could see and taste for myself...but since it's being compared to established preparations, it would be great to know how the comparison was made.

Curious about trying some. How long have you been using it in your systems?

Thanks!
1. The types of amino acids and their ratio were published in several scientific papers.
2. I have been using it for over a year.
3. Some coral farms are making their own for years now. So that I can “borrow” their success.
4. I am Not claiming mine is superior just that I can be sure that I have the best quality ingredients that I can find to feed my coral.
5. You have seen my tanks and the coral growth and color speak for themselves.
6. I am not trying to mass market this as it is primarily for my own use. I don’t need to worry about its shelf life at room temperature so that I can skip some unnecessary chemicals.

Hope I answer your questions.

1. The types of amino acids and their ratio were published in several scientific papers.
2. I have been using it for over a year.
3. Some coral farms are making their own for years now. So that I can “borrow” their success.
4. I am Not claiming mine is superior just that I can be sure that I have the best quality ingredients that I can find to feed my coral.
5. You have seen my tanks and the coral growth and color speak for themselves.
6. I am not trying to mass market this as it is primarily for my own use. I don’t need to worry about its shelf life at room temperature so that I can skip some unnecessary chemicals.

Hope I answer your questions.
Thanks for sharing these details! Your results do speak for themselves -- it just wasn't clear from your first post that you have been using this so long. Very cool. Thanks for making these available to the club!

I'd like to grab a bottle sometime tomorrow and maybe grab some corals. What works for you time wise?

Do you think 1L would keep in the frig for 6 weeks?

When dosing is the concentration in the water important or is it more about having enough available for corals to take up? Basically if you had a giant sump empty of coral would you include that in the dosing calc?

Look like I am getting many questions asking why I suggest refrigeration for my amino acids.
1. Despite these free form amino acids are chemically stable in room temperature in the solution, refrigeration will reduce bacteria contamination since there is not preservatives used to kill off bacteria.
2. Some preservatives in commercial products can act as carbon dosing, which I don’t want.
3. If you leave it out for a day at room temperature, I think it is still ok.

Do you think 1L would keep in the frig for 6 weeks?

When dosing is the concentration in the water important or is it more about having enough available for corals to take up? Basically if you had a giant sump empty of coral would you include that in the dosing calc?
Yes, 6 week in the refrigerator should be fine.
If you order 1L, I will give you 4x250 mL bottles. You can keep the unused bottles in the fridge sealed.
Yes, sump volume can to be added. But the dosage is only a suggestion. Just like the nature of these kind of additives, dose more or less is ok.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back