I got into this hobby, why???

Rgbpixels

Non-member
This is the most expensive, rewarding, frustrating, I want to pull my hair out hobby I have ever got involved in.
I set up my dream tank. Wired it and plumbed it so everything is neat and tidy. Took great pride in doing so. Started with dead, dry rock and sand. Set up a QT system. Did everything “right.” All fish were qt’d for 30 days and treated prophylactically. DT has been running perfectly for 8 months. I added my new 3 fish after QT and it is all going to sh**. Bad outbreak of ich. Kole tang died sat/sun, royal gramma is almost gone now. And many others are not looking good. Can’t catch any of them to put them in QT. Trying to save my tank by dosing rally and kick ick as the only reef safe treatment I can find. Ordered a UV sterilizer (to help prevent- not a cure all, issues in the future).
I am a grown a** man that just wants to cry as my dream tank is crashing hard. My happy place is now turning into a nightmare. Ok, so I may be a little over dramatic right now.
Phew. Ok. I feel a little better. Thanks for letting me vent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you add all the fish at once? Even if you qt adding a bunch of fish at once in to a new tank won't usually go well .

I had a crash that took all but one fish about 3 months in. It was gut wrenching, but time cures all things. A bunch of cleaner shrimp seems to keep things in check now.

I temperature then drip acclimate to a sterile qt. Once they are eating I send them thru tank transfer with prazipro. Once that is up I monitor for anything more serious (brook or velvet mainly) then in they go. If brook or velvet show I break out the dips. A lot of LFS run low levels of copper which can mask and suppress symptoms of some diseases.

A lot of great information here...
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/fish-disease-treatment-and-diagnosis.771/

Joe

I temperature then drip acclimate to a sterile qt. Once they are eating I send them thru tank transfer with prazipro. Once that is up I monitor for anything more serious (brook or velvet mainly) then in they go. If brook or velvet show I break out the dips. A lot of LFS run low levels of copper which can mask and suppress symptoms of some diseases.

A lot of great information here...
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/fish-disease-treatment-and-diagnosis.771/

Joe

Thanks Joe!

Fish are tough.
How big is your display? a UV sterilizer would help and I swear by it in my system.

Fish are tough.
How big is your display? a UV sterilizer would help and I swear by it in my system.

I have a 180 DT and a 64 sump. I purchased the high output 50 watt Pentair from BRS. Should be here this week.

Make sure you read the instruction and fully understand how the unit works before attempting to run it. The quartz sleeve is pretty fragile. Run the unit without the bulb or electronic first for 24hrs to check for leaks. If there's no water got into the quartz sleeve, only then, you can put the bulb in it and run it. I don't care what people say about UV sterilizer. If you run it correctly( UV power and flow rate), the fish should be free of ick or any other common diseases.

Make sure you read the instruction and fully understand how the unit works before attempting to run it. The quartz sleeve is pretty fragile. Run the unit without the bulb or electronic first for 24hrs to check for leaks. If there's no water got into the quartz sleeve, only then, you can put the bulb in it and run it. I don't care what people say about UV sterilizer. If you run it correctly( UV power and flow rate), the fish should be free of ick or any other common diseases.

Thank you. Will do!

And then there were six...
Clowns, flame angel, anthias, and azure damsel. All died between yesterday and today.
Down to yellow tang, hippo tang, 3 azure damsels and a neon dottyback.

Wow sorry
I know the feeling, during the power outage I lost 5 fish
I am surprised the clowns were one of the firsts to go. Good luck with the rest of them. I’ve heard vitamin c is pretty good immune booster for fish

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back