Im super new

RyReef

Non-member
Hi everyone, my name is Ryan and just found out about the forum like two weeks ago from a coworker, been reading a ton on here since. Let start off with a 75g gallon tank sitting around collecting dust in the basement. Hm...why not give saltwater it a try. So here we go ordered load of stuffs online thanks to prime amazon.com and drilled the tank. Two 1" overflow and two 2 3/4" return. Made a stand and now im in second weeks of cycling. Tank is 75 gals with about 80 lbs of 1/3 live rocks and some dry rock with 120 lbs live sand. Sump is 20-25 gallons with reef octopus 150 skimmer and two filter socks. Filled with rodi water I added a jumbo shrimp (amonia is about 2-3ppm) and few days later I added a bio-spira and look like ammonia is now 0 nitrite is about 5ppm and nitrate is 20ppm (tested this morning). Added some chaeto (big thanks to Albert) last nite to the sump, so I guess now is just the waiting game til the tank is fully cycle.
IMG_8071.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8043.JPG
    IMG_8043.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 521
Last edited:
Welcome Ryan !
nice having new hobbyist to the club here you will find a lot of info and help , don't be shy to ask when help its needed asking a lot of questions still helps me make the right decision or a least the one that makes more sense.
in another note . i would leave my lights off while cycling your tank .
but that its just me a lot of people do it different .

That stand looks awesome! Glad you were able to get water cycling so fast!

Welcome to the club!

What are you planning? Corals, fish only? Softies? Stoney's? What do you have for the light set up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
I think 2 clowns a yellow and blue tang and a clean up crew wit a few softies. Added few more live rocks. Water now showing 0 ammonia ~0-.25 nitrite and 10-15 nitrate. I put in a turbo snail and it seem to doing it thing. For lighting I have two t5 bulbs running for few hrs a day now and will run ecotech radion xr30w gen 3 once the tank is fully cycle
IMG_8205.JPG

I would t get the blue tang. They need a lot of swimming room. Yellows have done well in smaller tanks.

If you are interested in tangs look at the yellow Kole eye tang with the yellow. I always check live aquaria for recommended tank sizes. It says blue tang recommends a 180 gallon tank.

You could do some more stocking of smaller fish too. Someone just posted a 72 bow front stocking question and a couple of us out our fish lists.

You shouldn't have a problem with softies or LPS with those lighting.

Happy reefing and as Albert said, Don't be shy!

ahh no room for dory.... i see an upgrade already
Honestly you can get a very small one . Just dont get to attach because u
Gonna have to let it go in a year or two when start growing .
I was at underwater word in taunton this week and saw hippo tangs Aka Dory abouth 1 inch in size .

Honestly you can get a very small one . Just dont get to attach because u
Gonna have to let it go in a year or two when start growing .
I was at underwater word in taunton this week and saw hippo tangs Aka Dory abouth 1 inch in size .
i picked up the hipo tang and yellow tang at underwater world. this thing is a pig she prob grew double her size since.

Welcome aboard! Tank looks great! .
I like the montipora pillar idea. It's gonna look awesome all grown/filled in

Wow you stocked that tank with more stuff than I have in 2.5 years! It's looking nice!

Wow you stocked that tank with more stuff than I have in 2.5 years! It's looking nice!

haha thanks this hobby i realized is worst than a pizza delivery job.. drive an hr for a penny size coral haha

Welcome everything is looking great!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Looks great. My only advice is about that tower and all the monti chips on it. If they get the right flow they will take off and block out most light to whatever is under them. I've battled that problem for a long time and still do.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back