Inline water change tanks

banshee1

Non-member
So I'm building a basement sump and i want to incorparate 2 seperate tanks for doing water changes. I want to run these tanks inline with the system with only 1 at a time being used. So basicly i can mix fresh saltwater in 1 tank while the other is just a flow through within the system. When it's time for a water change all i have to do is turn a valve and it shuts off 1 tank and opens the other one. Then i drain that tank mix fresh saltwater and so forth. Has anyone done anything like this?

I use my return pump via ball valves to evacuate my sump of water from the basement with an old garden hose.
Then refill using a large Brute trash barrel and a maxijet 1200 or larger pump.
Using the return pump sure saves the back.

I do something that I believe is simple. I stop the water flow between tank and fuge. I drain ~ 70-80 % of the fuge water with a pump (till the pump height, ~2" above the bottom). Then I fill the fuge with new marine water till the level it was. And start all the system.

I have a very standard water mixing system. 2 brutes (RODI, Marine water). They are NOT connected. A pump pass water from the RODI brute using a hose to the mixing brute. From there, another pump, through a hose, fill the fuge.

Simple and easy and difficult to make a mistake. Brutes are over wheels if I need to move them.

Why you don't do your water changes in the Sump directly ?

Cheers
Daniel

Pretty cool idea. Just switch one off line when the other is ready. Always the same amount out as in.

The only problem I can see is that if it’s in line it will collect detritus but I suppose if you clean it when it’s empty you’d be all good.

Yeah that the plan. They are going to be 29 gallon tank setup right next to each so when I switch over I'll be able to just take the one tank out and clean it

It will be a cascade system so a quick turn of a couple valves and bam water change done. Clean the tank make up so fresh rodi and its ready to go for next time. So I'm basicly eliminating the need for a mixing station

It will be a cascade system so a quick turn of a couple valves and bam water change done. Clean the tank make up so fresh rodi and its ready to go for next time. So I'm basicly eliminating the need for a mixing station

Aren't your 2 tanks the mixing station ?

Technically yes but normally mixing stations arnt run inline with the tank itself.

So you are not eliminating the need of a mixed station. You have one......connected to the tank directly.

Your design is good as many others but simplicity is what make this hobby successful. That is all want I wanted to say. Make things in this hobby simple. You will reduce the probability of mistakes.

I will use those 2 tanks in line to have a big refugium and will assemble a classical mixing station nearby, in your basement.

The fuge will be a good addition. And to work has to be big. And you have there 2 tanks that can be used for that purpose.

I have a 65 G display tank with a 40 G breeder fuge.

I am uploading a video so you can see how easy is to do WC, if you built an external mixing station.

I didn't realized I change the position of the phone. So be careful with your neck when watching it :) .

All what I said and do came from all my years in the hobby.

Make it easy !!!!!

But is your tank and your hobby. Just trying to help.

Best !!!

I will also have a 30 gallon refugium along with a 55 gallon skimmer tank along with a 10 gallon return tank.

I will also have a 30 gallon refugium along with a 55 gallon skimmer tank along with a 10 gallon return tank.

Nice.... !!!

I will make the 30 + the 50 refugiums and the skimmer in the smallest tank of all the tanks in line. My filtration system is the fuge , 5 media columns filled with Matrix , the mangroves growing in a HOB Petco filter and the tanks rocks. Plus all the macro algaes in the fuge.

Well enjoy the hobby. I just took this pictures for you.

Cheers

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back