Interceptor plus for red bugs

Bostoncoral

BRS Member
Im at the end of my rope here trying to get the regular interceptor to treat my tank for red bugs. The only interceptor i can get is interceptor plus. Im so frustrated, i feel im about to throw this stuff in a blender and dose my tank but really not sure. Ive reached out on reef to reef and facebook but nobody has the regular interceptor. Me and chris deland both called dozens of vets to find it but we cant get it. Anyone have any input? Thanks

Attachments

• 20190114_003516.jpg
    20190114_003516.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 295
Yrs ago I was able find interceptor online through a vet in Australia. Not sure if things have changed since then, but it worked @ 10 yrs back.

I was able to get some shipped from a Canadian company. I don’t remember the name of the company. I’ll see if I can find it again. I found it through a google search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im at the end of my rope here trying to get the regular interceptor to treat my tank for red bugs. The only interceptor i can get is interceptor plus. Im so frustrated, i feel im about to throw this stuff in a blender and dose my tank but really not sure. Ive reached out on reef to reef and facebook but nobody has the regular interceptor. Me and chris deland both called dozens of vets to find it but we cant get it. Anyone have any input? Thanks

Did someone tell you not to use interceptor plus?

The ingredients state milbebycin oxime, Vitamin C and water. You could try to verify that with the manufacturer. Sounds as tank safe as dosing vet tablets.

The ingredients state milbebycin oxime, Vitamin C and water. You could try to verify that with the manufacturer. Sounds as tank safe as dosing vet tablets.

It says right on the instructions do not dose in DT it will kill inverts ect...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

The veterinary tablets have been shown to be fairly safe with a few species of inverts being sensitive to it, causing minor collateral damage in a fully stocked reef - I imagine the same is true of this formulation, unless there’s additional anti-parasitic compounds in the mix that aren’t listed (which is doubtful). Vitamin C is probably in there as a preservative.

While the label will tell you not to dose it in a DT, years of experiences by other reefers will tell you it’s “reef safe with caution”. For what it’s worth, I’d take the risk, but to each their own.

Intercepter is not exactly safe to dose in to reef tanks. It has impact on shrimps and clams. That is why originally, the instructions called for removal of shrimps and clams before dose.

It says right on the instructions do not dose in DT it will kill inverts ect...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Interceptor/ interceptor plus will do the same thing to inverts.

Sorry i should check this site more frequently. the acro w redbugs was on a rock i could remove and dip. I did a strong coral rx dip and made a huge difference. The acro has color again and i think i can see some red bugs still if not just polyps lol but dramatically improved.
Nobody told me to try the interceptor plus, nor did anyone tell me not to. I did hear one guy say he did use it, but who really knows.
I dont see any other coral with red bugs in my tank but im skeptical that the dip i did killed them all.
I did hear about the dr.Gs stuff and was considering it but havent read too much into it.
I have looked into online sites and other countrys... (Australia and Canada) but only see interceptor in flavored form. I was hoping some old school reefers would have a stash of interceptor tablets, but it might be wishful thinking lol.

Sorry i should check this site more frequently. the acro w redbugs was on a rock i could remove and dip. I did a strong coral rx dip and made a huge difference. The acro has color again and i think i can see some red bugs still if not just polyps lol but dramatically improved.
Nobody told me to try the interceptor plus, nor did anyone tell me not to. I did hear one guy say he did use it, but who really knows.
I dont see any other coral with red bugs in my tank but im skeptical that the dip i did killed them all.
I did hear about the dr.Gs stuff and was considering it but havent read too much into it.
I have looked into online sites and other countrys... (Australia and Canada) but only see interceptor in flavored form. I was hoping some old school reefers would have a stash of interceptor tablets, but it might be wishful thinking lol.

As far as I know coral RX dip does not kill acropora red bugs, Bayer will. I have successfully treated acropora red bugs in the tank using Interceptor Plus. This was about 9 months ago and they have not returned. As far as I know they do not sell Interceptor in the US anymore, only Interceptor plus which is safe to use on corals if you follow instructions. It does not kill the eggs so you must treat once a week for 3 weeks to be 100% successful. Here’s a few pics of the acropora red bugs I had.

f495812c157d59f8fea52c240dbe8712.jpg
2191dee49d88e6c2a66e77ed3ce1dc0a.jpg

Last edited:
The coral rx did kill them, or at the very least knocked the numbers down. I saw tons of tiny specs in the water dip solution but w out a microscope i cannot say for sure. They are back now i just checked but wayyyy less of them.

Attachments

• 15483020502141400337833897509680.jpg
    15483020502141400337833897509680.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 213
Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back