Jebao Return Pump caught fire

Derric

Non-member
Luckily I was working on my skimmer when I hear a buzzing. Almost sounded like a bee under my stand. Then I hear that awful electricity sound and smell smoke. I pulled out the power supply and right as I did it caught fire right on the floor. I pulled the wire out of the powe supply brick and blew out the fire. At that point the power strip finally tripped and cut off power too. Now I’m hopped up on adrenaline and so nervous about the tank I can’t sleep.

What would have caused this? I had a 6 outlet power strip with two small power heads, a 200 watt heater, my skimmer, the return pump, and a small LED light for when I’m under the tank. The power heads are just cheap no name amazon ones.

Any salt creep or water that could’ve gotten in it? Do you make drip loops on your cords?
By any chance did you pull any plug out near it that could’ve gotten it loose?

Any salt creep or water that could’ve gotten in it? Do you make drip loops on your cords?
By any chance did you pull any plug out near it that could’ve gotten it loose?
Probably not salt creep. My skimmer is on the other side of the stand and that’s where any spray and salt creep tends to be. This tank has is only been up since the end of July though. I have drip loops but the bulky ness of the power supply means it was probably could have sagged and made it own little loop. It wasnt permanently fixed to anything. I was working on the skimmer so it’s possible I splashed it but I did check for water and didn’t notice anything near where it was.

Might’ve gotten loose and started to arch. Happen to my apprentice with a chop saw this week on a job site. Sorry could be more helpful

Is the pump and controller ok? what model is the return pump?
If all you need is a power supply, I have spare power supply sitting around. If you want to replace the whole pump, I have DC return pump by Coralbox available if you need one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the pump and controller ok? what model is the return pump?
If all you need is a power supply, I have spare power supply sitting around. If you want to replace the whole pump, I have DC return pump by Coralbox available if you need one.

They look ok. Tough to tell without pluggin it in. Do you think I maybe splashed it and that caused it to arc? I’d be nervous to think it could just happen again with a new power supply and I’m not there to catch it next time.

Can you txt me a photo of the power supply? 978-505-8232

Back