MH for the biocube

I have seen people in the distant past using 150 watt metal halide fixtures sitting on top of these tanks. Metal halide on these AIO closed hoods creates a lot of heat and presents temperature issues.

There used to be a 150w HQI version of 29 gallon biocube.

I had a Current Sunpod 150W MH over mine back in the day. I ran with no hood, so no issue with heat. That light was awesome on the BC29.

The light in your link should be absolutely avoided.
First of all, it comes with very crappy bulbs.
Second, the ballast is under power, it is closer to 175w than 250w.
It is an unbranded Odysea fixture.

The light in your link should be absolutely avoided.
First of all, it comes with very crappy bulbs.
Second, the ballast is under power, it is closer to 175w than 250w.
It is an unbranded Odysea fixture.

see! this is why I'm here!! I'm open to suggestions! i would like a MH with some T5 and moonlights...Show me oh wise one!!!

I put the reef breeders v2 photon on my 32 bc this weekend I'd recommend that as a light. It was a very hard pia install took whole weekend but now that I've done it happy to help and should be a little easier. The nice part is that it fits into the hood after cutting the inside and re sealing to make room. You have to cut the black part out on the underside of the evaporation clear plate that is the hard part. Very happy with this light totally worth it :)

Attachments

• IMG_1281.JPG
    IMG_1281.JPG
    219.6 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_1289 2.JPG
    IMG_1289 2.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_1290 2.JPG
    IMG_1290 2.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_1282.jpg
    IMG_1282.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 207
Here is another where you can see how I cut 2x2.5" holes on the top to help the light vent. The light is sealed from the evaporation of the tank with a plexiglass sheet under the hood (you have the cut out the black part then put the plexiglass over the cut out to seal the light). It really is worth it though and wasn't thaat bad all in. Huge thanks to Dong (Dz6t) for the light and corals (and most importantly the advice on filtration and feeding :) so thankful for his advice and help) and also Chris for recommending it to me and all his advice. The advantage of this to me is a lot of control over the spectrum, low heat/power and the hood makes it so you don't get any glare off the light or off the water when looking at the tank from above and from the side for me that was most important so I can watch tv and play ps4 above it.

Attachments

• IMG_1291 2.jpg
    IMG_1291 2.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 186
i had the mh a few years ago on my 32bio cube was great in the winter but come summer i could not keep the tank below 80 with out running my ac full blast all day .just something to think about because heat will be an issue. i switched to led and never looked back

its just my opinion, MH with supportive T5 is the best combo for reef tanks. There are a ton of aquariums with LED that look amazing! Im just not a fan. however it looks like I may be out of luck and have to bite the bullet

I have an Aquamedic german made 24 inch 150w halide with two t5. External cube shape ballast. Comes with hanging kit. Cheap, pm me if interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back