Moving from two 29 Gallons to 90 Gallon RR Help

gmac22

Non-member
Hello I am new to the forum, but need some help on my transfer. The Girl Friend and I are moving from a 1 bedroom to a 2 Bedroom apartment. We currently have 29 gallon tanks one 29 gallon tank is a Bio cube with fish only and 1 Pulsing Xenia. The other tank is a 29 gallon with hang on over flow. This tank has is filled with soft corals and fish. We wanted to upgrade to a bigger tank now that we have the room for it so we bought a 90 gallon Reef Ready tank. I am trying to figure out how to transfer everything over with out shocking everything to much. I don't have to time to let the tank cycle. Should I combine both tanks and top off with 35 gallons of fresh water or should I take the one 29 gallon and add 60 gallons of water to the tank. I am clueless as what would be best for the fish and corals. Any help would be the best.

Thanks in Advance for your advise.

First you should try and make the parameters of both tanks as close to the same as possible. Then I would take the water from both tanks and add new water for the rest. Just make sure you make the new waters parameters the same as the other tanks. Try and make the new water as far ahead of time before the transfer. That way it has time to age a little. It will be like doing a big water change. Maybe put all the livestock(corals and fish) in a big rubber made and transfer the water and sand and let things settle for a day then put the livestock in. Moving sand can cause some unwanted effects so it would be best to see what happens first. How long have the 29s been set up?

sweet thanks Turbosnail, im trying my best... just dont want to kill my corals and live stock... i was thinking about just taking the water from the one tank that has all the corals and live stock and then just add the remaining amount of water to make the full 90 plus sump. then just drip the other fish to the new water.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back