New guy here

Cn1620

Non-member
IMG_0445.JPG
hey everyone looking to get into a saltwater tank and currently have a few freshwater setups. I have the passion and the time just looking to see what everyone recommends for a first saltwater tank. I will most likely be buying used. A picture of my 60 gallon freshwater for your viewing pleasure.

Welcome aboard and Congrats on your new endeavors !
Depends what you size you looking for and what you are planing to keep .
Also in the marketplace lately i see a lot of full system running going for cheep it can be a hood starting point the adjust as you need .

Welcome and I'd say the bigger is better because it's more forgiving than a smaller tank. As Albert said there's been a few really good deals in the market place for full running systems. Anything you have questions on don't hesitate to ask,that's what we're here for :)

Welcome to the club! I just recently made the switch from fw to sw, well not a switch, just added to the fleet of tanks in my fish cave. It's a whole new game, lots of fun! Wish I had found this place before I set up, could have saved some serious $$$$;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Welcome to the club! Be sure not to hesitate to ask questions everyone here is more than happy to provide answers to any questions you may have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome, that's a nice setup you've created.

Definitely keep an eye out for good used deals. Aim for a large but manageable size ideally - 40-90g is a good starting point since you've got room to mess around with but not an insurmountable investment.

My girlfriend bought this tank. It is a very nice tank. She is now regretting the purchase however. She wishes she had an Auto Top Off (ATO) with it. We can add it but it won't be as clean as an ATO going into a sump in a stand. She added a protein skimmer that fit in the back chamber but this removes one of the filter socks. You could do hang on back but aesthetically it may not be to your liking. Without an ATO the water level changes and the skimmer does not run optimal. She spent $300.00 on an LED light that has an on and off with moon lights. Now she wishes she spent more for a light with a controller so she could setup a custom scheme where they come on at X time, gradually get to full power, and then build in less lighting throughout day for rest periods, and then go off at night without having to do a thing.

Overall it is a great tank but as you learn more about saltwater you may have wished you bought something else that can be customized more. I would do a lot of research on the differences between an AIO system and those that have built in over flows that go into a sump. If you are looking for a basic saltwater tank with fish and live rock this may be your ticket. If you are going to get into corals I would research the benefits you can gain by having a built in over flow that goes into a sump.

also if that kit doesn't come with the stand i wont buy the kit . for the extra $300 you paying you be better of buying rocks sand and other stuff from other members .
you can find very good deals if you shop around
you dont need that much live rock or sand anyways .

Would recommend the fusion line of tanks, just don't don't get the package with the nuvo lights. Waste of money because you'll upgrade the light in a month or two anyways!

I have the fusion 30L and love it! Definitely just get the tank only and get a seperate light because the IM lights are garbage. Also, half the stuff that comes in the Brs starter kit, you won't use after a while or can get cheaper or better versions for some of the stuff.

Welcome aboard! I like my 72 gallon. Start with easy softies and work your way up to sps. The more forgiving the corals at first the more money you will save long term.

Unless you are thinking fish only?

Let us know what you are thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back