New Reefer/Member

JeanR

BRS Member
Hello, been meaning to introduce myself for a little while.

I am new to reefing and haven't had any kind of aquarium in the last 20 years. I got inspired to do this as my 6 year old is a budding marine biologist (as many of us were at that age) and I thought it would be fun to do together. Was really struck by the beauty of the corals/inverts in saltwater and decided to try a reef.

In January 2017 I bought a second hand Red Sea Max C130 on Craigslist (compact fluorescent top with retrofitted LEDs) and read a few books. Learned about BRS soon afterward and joined, been enjoying the hobby ever since. I have a mixed reef with lots of the starters corals (4 types of birdsnest, other easy SPS, candy cane, Duncan, zoas/palys, couple euphylias, derasa clam, etc...). Things were going smoothly so I decided to try a few acropora, which were going pretty well until mid-August when I lost 3-4, I think due to heat stress as my tank was hitting 82-84 during the day. Will need to figure this out for next summer.

Having a smaller tank is nice as significant water changes are pretty easy, but starting to see the downside as I pay more attention to water chemistry. I'm starting to notice big swings in my Alk - it is 9-10 dKH when I do a big water change (using Reef Crystals), but drops to 7 within 2 days and 6 within 5 days. Is this a crazy drop? Can my corals actually be consuming carbonate that quickly? My Alk, calcium and magnesium are always on the low side even with weekly water changes. Am wondering if I should just stop thinking about it and keep up with my water changes (10-20% per week) or actually start dosing something (maybe 2 part?). Would be interested to hear what you guys think!

Anyways, now that the monthly meetings are starting up I will look forward to introducing myself and saying hello in person soon!!
IMG_4641.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg

Welcome to BRS! That tank looks very nice even for a veteran Reefer! I would keep up with water changes because that is what I do and it works for me. But there are a lot of people here who dose and have things more automated. With a smaller tank I would lean towards the water changes weekly. Also see if a LFS would do a dKH test for you to see if your reagents are still good.

Welcome again!
Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the club! Bulk reef supply has great videos on 2 part dowsing. Sounds like your tank has grown to this stage in the hobby!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back