Nick's Miracle Build

No closed loop.
I implement the KISS method on this and it works out. I spend about an hour cleaning and water change every week.

I would love to check it out sometime. Planning something similar for when I buy a house and I'd love to learn more about what you've done.

Amazing tank. I wish I had your DIY skills and patience. I can tell that it was a labor of love. Congrats.

Sorry if I missed this in your 15-page build thread! How did you mount the 6-foot Spectra to your ceiling? I am trying to figure out the most aesthetically pleasing, but also the safest way to do it. I like the idea of hanging it, but I am deathly afraid that the 40 lbs fixture will fall into my tank. Did you mount into joists? Or just dry wall?

Do not trust your drywall for mounting this fixture. It's a very heavy fixture. Use those drywall anchors with caution. If you have to use it, make sure you get one with very heavy load rated. 50lbs+.
The way I did it was using 2x4 stub and screwed with 3" screw into the joist. Then use 2" screws to screw the fixture mount to the 2x4. I painted the 2x4 with the same ceiling paint and plan on building a canopy.

20L full of chaeto and who knows what else.
F80A88DA-E2BB-4D39-A78A-3F2B36AAB59A.jpeg

FF10654A-C37F-489F-92FF-2AE062657664.jpeg

Not very often. I started the fuge with just a fist size chaeto. It didn't grow as good when I first started it. Maybe it's the light but I don't really care for it. lol

What a beauty! Let me know if you ever need help fragging them badboys, starting to get pretty full in there

Hey Pablo,
I haven't fragged or sold anything to anyone for quite awhile. I've lost all motivation on selling any frags. I also haven't added any corals to the tank. Just growing out whatever I have. But unfortunately, when things are growing well, the ones at the top will overshade and kill whatever below it.

Hey Pablo,
I haven't fragged or sold anything to anyone for quite awhile. I've lost all motivation on selling any frags. I also haven't added any corals to the tank. Just growing out whatever I have. But unfortunately, when things are growing well, the ones at the top will overshade and kill whatever below it.
Looking good nick

I have seen tanks with that many coral, and tanks with that many fish, but never tanks with that many of both. How did you find so many Angels that would not eat your SPS?

Not very often. I started the fuge with just a fist size chaeto. It didn't grow as good when I first started it. Maybe it's the light but I don't really care for it. lol

Did you drill a 20L for the fuge and just run the full size 20L for it? I’m thinking of doing the same thing. Bare bottom it looks like?

I have seen tanks with that many coral, and tanks with that many fish, but never tanks with that many of both. How did you find so many Angels that would not eat your SPS?

Angels don't eat SPS. They nip on the polys but they don't bite and chew on the flesh or the skeleton. Yes, this might slow down the growth of the coral but a healthy sps colony can cope with the nipping by not extending the polyps during the day when the fish are active. Normal polyp extension will happen during the night to feed. You have a better chance at losing SPS due to them growing into each other or shading each other than angels' nipping. They will, however, demolish your fleshy LPS like a kid at the candy store.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back