Nick's Miracle Build

Thank you all.
Yes, at one point, I was putting the tank up for sale. But understandably, there was no serious buyer. So I'm stuck with the tank. I've learned how to simplify my reef set up so that once a week water change that takes an hour(and mostly just standing around waiting for water to drain and water to fill up) is enough to keep the tank going.

For heating and cooling the space, we are putting a 30,000 BTU ductless system with 3 heads by Mitsubishi. Of which 6000 BTU unit will be dedicated to the fish room.
I highly doubt I will need the cooling function as the basement stays around 73 at the hottest day of the summer. Winter days are in the 50s. Humidity, however, is high and that was one of the reason we went with the mini split system.
http://www.mitsubishicomfort.com/products/multi-room/product-listing/wall-mount

Thanks KSC!
That was the other major factor that we went with the split system on top of the huge humidity control capability.
At first,we were looking into tapping off to the same central air/heating system for the 1st floor. It was do-able and the system would be able to handle the additional load. However, it does not have the humidity control that we really need in the basement without adding additional components to the system. And headroom was also a concern since there will be new duct work.
We looked at system that can do the humidity control and mini split system made the most sense and with all the rebates and special financing from Mass Save, it was a no brainer for us.
I'm hoping to get the installer to come to rough out what he needs for the install in the next couple weeks so the drywall can go up. I'm constantly thinking of what needs to be added now that the walls are still open. Ethernet wires, speakers wires, and Oh! a separate water line for the RODI in the fish room.

Wow nick this is top notch! Definitely following. Great job so far. Wish I knew how to do this stuff. Are you learning as you go or have u done construction before? Btw nice car. I have the same gs350 in silver :)

Thanks Steve,
I've never picked up a hammer until I bought the house 2 years ago. I just like to read a lot and can follow instructions.
I'm contemplating on doing the drywall but will sub this portion out. Will sighs painting and trims and floor myself after that. The most important thing is drywall and painting done before November so I can move the tank down there before the snow.

Last edited:
I'd go with blueboard and veneer plaster. In this area the costs should be pretty close.

I've gotten quote for both drywall and plaster and the difference is $300. I'm still doing some research on which one I should go with. However, I'm somewhat of an audiophile and from what I read, plaster makes more echo in the room. I don't really want to spend more money on sound treating the room when I'm listening to my music down there. Leaning toward drywall but that can change.

Greg,
I've decided to go with purple board sheet rock due to the sounding concern and the fact that the guys are really busy with plaster and he won't be able to come in until November. He's able to do sheetrock next week. This may tell me that plaster is probably better and more popular but the whole house is on sheetrock and moisture hasn't been a concern in the basement so far. It gets humid but I haven't seen any moisture coming from the concrete walls. The walls are also covered with moisture resistant foam board so it'll be okay.
I'm just afraid that if I delay this project any further, the tank will just sit in the garage and I'll lose the interest in setting it up.

Looking good! I was starting to wonder what happened to the set up you had been talking about last fall.

Hey NICK...... And what wall will be for the 75" flat TV and bar . :)

Nice !!
Best Daniel

I was looking at this 78".
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...-dynamic-range-silver/5154802.p?skuId=5154802

To be mounted on this wall
original.jpg

But it might compete with the reef tank. However, if my system crashes or goes to ********, I can replay some reefing video of stream live webcam from other aquarium.
original.jpg

Last edited:
Drywall guys are coming next week so I got to get my stuff together. Last chance for any wiring including burying wiring for upstairs family room.
original.jpg

Two Ethernet ports for controller and something else that requires internet. Like I mentioned before, I prefer wired connection over WiFi
original.jpg

Another room with RG6 and Ethernet ready.
original.jpg

I also took the chance to burying the wires from the family room to the basement ceiling for my home theater once the Elos is out of the family room. 4 pairs of speakers with 2 subwoofers routed to the rear of the room for 7.2 channel set or 5.2 bi-wire set up.
Also included 4 Ethernet ports and an RG6 cable.
original.jpg

One of the rear side.
original.jpg

The central hub. I will have to upgrade my switch box to accommodate all the new wires.
original.jpg

I really wish I'd ran ethernet... I've got a wireless gaming adapter for the Apexes and I have to pull the plug every so often to keep it communicating with the fusion website. If it keeps up, I'll probably snake some cat-5 to it. The adapter was an attempt at throwing a small chunk of change to save on labor - hasn't panned out.
Looking really great btw.

Big time Jealous over this project. My next house will need to have some of the benefits you have designed for your reef tank. Who knows maybe I will upgrade to a larger tank.

I'm so glad I ran ethernet to the tank. I hated those damn gaming adapters. Reset this then that then pray.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back