Nick's Miracle Build

Picked up a bunch of insulation last week. HD has a bulk price so we picked up more than needed and insulated the interior walls as well.
original.jpg

This stuff is really nasty to work with.
original.jpg

Drywall being worked on. Hoping to be finished by the end of the week so we can paint next week.
original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Fishroom
original.jpg

Super jealous. I don't even have a basement. Concrete slab here. Best wishes on your project! Looks great so far

Wow that is a lot of drywall! Amazing how a bit of wall covering makes all the difference. What are you doing for flooring - more a curiosity to me, I've never had concrete as a subfloor.

4 things:

1) Your house makes mine look like a rubbermaid shed
2) Your car makes mine look like a rusty Geo Metro
3) Your tank makes mine look like a cheap Dixie cup
4) Where did you buy that Atlas? Because it wasn't from me, and I am a local supplier... Lol.

Wow that is a lot of drywall! Amazing how a bit of wall covering makes all the difference. What are you doing for flooring - more a curiosity to me, I've never had concrete as a subfloor.

Yeah, I was quite pleased after a couple sheet of drywall mounted. I finally got that feeling like I actually accomplished something after a year work.
For flooring, I initially thought of using 1.5" foam board, 3/4" subfloor, and 3/4" hardwood. The foam board, again, act as an insulator and a moisture barrier. I consulted a couple builders on this idea and they said that should be fine and enough to keep the hardwood from warping due to the concrete moisture. But I would lose 3" of headroom. So I was thinking of just using tiles. But after the space has been drywalled, I feel that the ceiling is quite reasonable. Not the full 8' but around 7'8". I probably will lay down two 1.5" boards and walk on it to see how I feel about the ceiling height. If I go tiles, I will only be losing about 1".
I might just pour epoxy paint and call it a day.

4 things:

1) Your house makes mine look like a rubbermaid shed
I'm also in the boonies and price per square feet is a lot cheaper than closer to the city.

2) Your car makes mine look like a rusty Geo Metro
Luxury cars price depreciate very quickly. I didn't buy mine used but a 3-4 year old luxury car is a price of a new Hyundai.

3) Your tank makes mine look like a cheap Dixie cup
What's in the tank and how you set up and maintain is what makes a tank beautiful. I've seen many small tanks that I rather prefer than larger tanks that are just just filled with rocks and fish. Remember, many issues we face in this hobby is exponentially larger and harder in larger tank. I hope I'll be able to keep up.

4) Where did you buy that Atlas? Because it wasn't from me, and I am a local supplier... Lol.
I went to Friend Lumber in Hudson, NH because they offer free delivery. Their delivery fee is somewhat priced in their product but I thought it was still reasonable and I have no way of bring home about 150 pieces of 2x4s and those 8'x4' foam boards. They made it easy by dropping a pallet of materials in the garage.

Please see my response in blue.

Looks good nick

Super jealous. I don't even have a basement. Concrete slab here. Best wishes on your project! Looks great so far

^I was really liking the purple too. Lol

looks great dont even paint it.

Thanks guys. I was joking with the wife that we should paint it purple. It looks quite nice. She gave me the stare....
Color picking, furniture picking, and decors, are not my areas. I don't touch that. The last time I came home with a light fixture for the stairway, the wife told me to return it. And I did...

Coming along nicely. I'm seriously impressed that you went from never swinging a hammer to finishing a basement, that's quite a leap!

My first birthday present when we got the house from the wife is this little cheap a** tool box from Home Depot. She did however, let me filled it with whatever I want. Ever since then, I've been on my hands and knees fixing things and building things.
a9687c43-b72b-4090-a9db-44a58bb7fa89_1000.jpg

Drywall done. Spent all week painting. Never thought painting can be so much work. Did one coat of primer and two coats of BM. I was thinking about focusing on the tank move and tank transfer and not do anything else to the basement but I think I will most likely be doing the trims. Can't stand looking at those unfinished doorway openings.
original.jpg

Tank stand unwrapped and leveled.
original.jpg

Ready for the tank move! Will cut the 3/4" plywood and foam board to place on top of the stand.
original.jpg

Christmas came a little early today! In addition to the equipment running on the Elos currently, these will be used to run on the new system.

I'm not sure why anyone would put a bright yellow sticker that basically say "Steal Me!"
original.jpg

What's in the box.
original.jpg

Damn, the skimmer is big! Does it fit in the sump? I planned for it but still have to make sure.
original.jpg

Whewww! Just made it. Perfect!
original.jpg

Time for a test drive. These rocks are for the new tank.
original.jpg

BBK Deluxe 300 initial run. I'm very impressed by the performance of a skimmer that just came out of the box. Dead silent(except for the foaming sound)
[video=youtube;QRxBeIRgp7Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRxBeIRgp7Y[/video]

Back